Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm enjoyed the weekly local Thursday's "Biergarten" underneath a suspended Saturn 5, with a beverage, and listening to the jazz combo. They take a break, I contemplate, and decide to walk over to speak with the players. The reeds player is a UNT grad, young, sounds nice. I ask about his MVI, 97,xxx, in superb condition, honest but 95% lacquer, no truama or warts, etc. He shares that he and his wife scraped by in school, so they frequented thrift stores and yard sales for durable goods and such. He found this superb piece at an estate sale when he was in school. They took his first offer (and his total sum bank roll) of $300. Judging by his age, this would have been in the last 5-7 years. Also judging by his description and demeanor, he knows what its worth, but too young to realize how rare this is now days, with internet research available making everyone an expert of collectable values. No doubt, the estate sale was done by the family, who didn't research all items, or it was undiscovered before sale day, etc. Best deal I've heard of.

The other part of the story, is that I had just before, stopped at a pawn shop, and picked up a decent T-60, a pre-ww2 German violin with a Baggs pickup and Perfections, plus a couple guitar hard cases that need handles for about 60% of street, thinking I had done pretty good. Sometimes, you just wish you hadn't asked...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
That's one where it's hard to be jealous, just happy. Young kid working through school to become a pro and providence smiles upon him! I love that he's playing it and relatively naive to the rarity of the situation. What better place for a horn to be than making music in the hands of someone who fought hard to get there?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
That';s one where it';s hard to be jealous, just happy. Young kid working through school to become a pro and providence smiles upon him! I love that he';s playing it and relatively naive to the rarity of the situation. What better place for a horn to be than making music in the hands of someone who fought hard to get there?

Thanks for sharing!
Yep, how often does that horn end up in a flipper's hands, who then turns around and sells it as "HOLY GRAIL MARK VI $8K WHAT A DEAL!!"

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Pre-widespread use of the internet these types of stories were more prevalent. Now they are very rare. The norm now is for the opposite. I've been at both Sax Alley and USA Horn when people walk-in with their husband/father/uncle's horn that they want to sell to the shop or have the shop sell on consignment and the values they have in mind based upon their "internet research" are often way out-of-line with reality. Pretty good entertainment to watch the reaction of someone who thinks they're about to get $7k+ for Uncle Bennie's horn be told the number is actually closer to half that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
The guy seems to 'get it.' Handed over all the money he had and will probably use the horn for most of his career. Rock-on young people - this has motivated me to continue hitting every yard sale, estate sale, and thrift store I find.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed - I was encouraged both listening to and talking with him. He (and plenty of his peers) has a bright future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts