Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, a very good piano player with whom I work frequently told me that he wished there was a late night local TV show called "Clubdate Update." Professional players could call in their experiences on the evening's gigs and job updates.

Of course, it was impossible to create a TV show like this, but with the advent of the internet era, we can create a CLUBDATE UPDATE site here on Sax on the Web for everybody. Post your gig experiences for the evening. It probably would be a good idea to keep it anonymous! Saturday night will be a big night for posting.

Suggestions from my piano player friend:

1. ...I just got home from my gig. I don't want to mention names, but you should have heard this band...

2. Your moderator has just posted the tote board. Look at the BIG TIME clubdate office that is THREE WEEKS behind on their payroll...

3. ..What FAMOUS bass player doesn't know the changes to MOONDANCE?

4. I wanted to sneak up behind the 3rd alto player and push his mouthpiece in 1/4 of an inch...

I have a MYSPACE MUSIC site that is only for nuts - or so I am told:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Club dates

What a great idea. It will be fun reading the posts. I doubt I will post any since I rarely play club dates anymore. As bad as some club dates can be, they beat the heck out of day jobs most of the time.

For me, I would much rather listen to a great song being played poorly than listen to some thug grab fixed parts of their anatomy while verifying that their neighborhoods stink and insulting women. Love those DJs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,863 Posts
Count me in, great idea !

I played a gig Friday night where we set up in a corner far away from most of the audience, and had to play extremely quietly, despite a wall of PA equipment from "the other band" nearby. Regardless I had a great time with these folks and look forward to playing with them. Everyone is cool and laid back, they play well and the material is good. We always have a great time playing together, and find a lot of things to laugh about when we're not on the stand. The funniest thing Friday night was that after we removed our seed money from the tip jar, we found we had received a total of $ 0.10 in tips! Luckily this was a paying gig!

·
Registered
1 Posts
undertime

Who doesn't love undertime? :clock:

They started at 4:30, watching the Kentucky Derby leadup on big TVs. Actual gambling (shhh!) which accounted for the full house, and a cute "Winner's Circle" lattice across the front of the bandstand. But they pulled it away in time for our 6:30 start (we do things early here in S Fla) and "They're Off." Thrilling background music to accompany the busy knives and forks but eventually they found their dancing shoes. By 8:30 we were down to a handful of guests. The maitre d' suggested a "quick set" to get them home and we were glad to comply. George M. Cohan medley followed by the service medley which produced a Coast Guarder (retired) standing at salute in front of the band. It's nice to see people enjoying the job we do. We followed that with "Like Young," a cool swing jazz number by Andre Previn that's been our theme since the 70s - came out nice! - and sure enough, were out the door by 9:15. :mrgreen: After load-out I had a killer sub sitting in the Publix parking lot. Nice to get there before they closed!

Who doesn't love undertime?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,031 Posts
Time zone

That's nice, the idea being a get together after a gig in the coffee shop? What about the guys in CA, or Japan. :) That's why SOTW's got a Working Pros forum. It's all good.

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clubdate Update - post your gig complaints/joys

LauderSax said:
Sonny Mange.
(nuff said)
My sympathies. Fewwas, Pwease! Da chart is a railroad map!

My myspace music page has broadened to include a CLASSICAL BARITONE SAXOPHONE SOLO - This guy is nuts!

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friday night - Played a gig for a dead guy! He knew he was dying so he wrote a check to his son and stated:

Rent a hall, hire a big band, and throw a giant party for my friends. Free food and drinks for everyone, including the band.

SOMEHOW, I CAN'T COMPLAIN!

Saturday night - A 50th High School reunion party - all 50s music at a beautiful house on the intracoastal waterway in Pompano beach. free drinks and food for the band. Uh-TWO in a row!

Sunday night - A Country Club party in Miami Shores. 3 Piece group playing all standards. I'm going to quit posting before I jinx myself. A good weekend.

Sorry to disappoint. Sometimes the bad gigs are more entertaining after the fact. 2 big band gigs coming up, listed on my MYSPACE MUSIC page:

·
2,863 Posts
Played a place in Austin last night called Guero's Taco Bar (don't laugh, they have live music several nights a week). We played on a big outdoor patio under a giant oak tree. Early in the evening the crowd was people coming from work and couples with young kids. That turned into the date night crowd as the evening went on. Eveybody was sounding good, and it was our drummer's birthday, so we went into the restaurant after the gig and used the coupons they gave us for free dinner. A good night in my book.

·
2,863 Posts
OK, I kind of like this idea so I'll give it a bump.

Played on an outside deck at a local brewpub last night. Good crowd, a few dancers, especially after the brews kicked in. A girl who supposedly auditioned for American Idol got up and did a song. I felt like Simon but kept my mouth shut. It must have been sit in night, becuase later a young college kid sat in on drums. He was ok, at least he didn't drop the beat. He's looking for gigs, but didn't have biz cards....Kids. The one person who didn't sit in was a killer sax player who dropped by. I offered him my horn, but he preferred to sit and drink beer with the two fine ladies accompanying him. Can't blame him there. Another good night.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Started the summer season in Orange Beach Alabama. Folks are starting to come back, it has been slow since Ivan and Katrina. Played a new yani A991 last night, I spend my whole summers pay.:D I took it out of the box and the first notes were on the band stand. I did have my Z just in case. It played good and the guys in the band were diggin the tone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts