Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xC99JVmJnc

Here I am working on just the beginning phrases of Hubert Laws All Soul. More important that what I'm practice is how. I'm trying to figure out what Hubert must have practiced to get this ability to phrase. I realized that he can easily grace to any note from a half step and he does a great smooth fall from the 7th to the 5th chromatically. Very smooth and beautiful . So practice with me? K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
You can't practice to get soul. You can learn to replicate what others have done if that's enough for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about replicating what they practiced , not just their notes. Brecker said that years ago, He said dont copy what I play, copy what I practiced and who I listened to. That bit of advice always stuck with me. Another for instance, I had a lesson with bill Mcbernie on flute and he told me he never copied flutists playing jazz. He didn't like what they were doing but he loved the vocal inflections of Ella or the soloing of oscar peterson so I did that as a practice rather than just copy Bills licks K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts