Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I'll apologize up front.

I have a gig next week. This is the first time in probable 20 years since I got up in front of a crowd and played. I not nervous about it, it'll be in front of coworkers. It'll be just me with my horn, and my PA equipment, playing some jazz tunes. So here's my questions...

1. Should I take a little, maybe 10-15 second break between tunes?
2. Should I introduce each song? I figured that I'm just "background" music while people are eating.

Last time I played anything like this, I was in college with a band, and the teacher came out and talked and whatnot. Any help with a smaller gig and what I can do would be helpful. I truly appreciate and advice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,493 Posts
Don't need to overanalyze it. Leave space between songs, or not, but be prepared for folks that might want to approach you between them for either a request or (hopefully) a compliment. Don't introduce songs unless you have a captive audience; especially if they're eating, drinking, socializing. And if they're holiday songs, you probably don't need to anyway.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
What is the event? If you are hired to play background music while people eat, just play. Forget about introducing the songs. However, if you are expected to be master of ceremonies, you would be expected to provide a little banter and to introduce the songs. If you'll be playing songs that people might dance to, sure, announce the songs.

How much time between tunes? If you're playing from a non-changing play list, and no one will have to flip through a binder for sheet music, and you won't be expected to MC, 10-15 seconds is acceptable.

No matter what, do everyone a favor and keep the sound level down, especially while everyone is eating.

Really.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I'll apologize up front.

I have a gig next week. This is the first time in probable 20 years since I got up in front of a crowd and played. I not nervous about it, it'll be in front of coworkers. It'll be just me with my horn, and my PA equipment, playing some jazz tunes. So here's my questions...

1. Should I take a little, maybe 10-15 second break between tunes?
2. Should I introduce each song? I figured that I'm just "background" music while people are eating.

Last time I played anything like this, I was in college with a band, and the teacher came out and talked and whatnot. Any help with a smaller gig and what I can do would be helpful. I truly appreciate and advice.
If you're background music while people are eating, your job is to be in the background. I would think that song announcements would not be expected or desired. I would think that a short break between tunes would be necessary, but nothing more than about 15 seconds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,793 Posts
Do you have backing tracks so what you're doing will sound like music rather than just a bunch of noodling?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Yes I have backing tracks from YouTube I'll be playing along with. I will be playing inside of a school library, which is acoustically dead, well almost. I do agree with playing with the sound down. Nothing like having to yell at the person next to you while you eat because the band thinks it's playing in a stadium.

This is a new experience for me. Usually I've always had a band there with me, never did a solo gig. Everyone is asking who I'm bringing and I keep tell them Steve Jobs (cause I'm using my iPad) and Susan Wojcicki (CEO of youtube). Without them, well it would be just me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,340 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Yes I have backing tracks from YouTube I'll be playing along with. I will be playing inside of a school library, which is acoustically dead, well almost. I do agree with playing with the sound down. Nothing like having to yell at the person next to you while you eat because the band thinks it's playing in a stadium.

This is a new experience for me. Usually I've always had a band there with me, never did a solo gig. Everyone is asking who I'm bringing and I keep tell them Steve Jobs (cause I'm using my iPad) and Susan Wojcicki (CEO of youtube). Without them, well it would be just me.
Just make sure you rip the audio/video from YouTube ahead of time (or use an ad blocker) so you don't have ads popping up and going through the sound system when you're about to play!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Just make sure you rip the audio/video from YouTube ahead of time (or use an ad blocker) so you don't have ads popping up and going through the sound system when you're about to play!
"Now, at The Home Depot....." Ha, been there with the ad thing. Pandora.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts