Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most SOTW members have more than one sax. Of your saxes which are workhorses and which are pets(not used much but cute). Our S-80 baritone is a workhorse(most baris are a used sparingly not ours) as it used in our sax trio and the elementary teacher has me play it for sax quartet work. I even got to play it in the elementary xmas concert. My alto(USA pro) and the my youngest daughter's alto(Yani A-901) are used heavily. My oldest sx-90 tenor is used often by her. Our Yani Sc-991 is a pet. We love it but it doesn't get out much. My oldest daughter's cannonball alto doesn't get much use either.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
My Monique Alto: A blue-green saxophone that is used as ornamentation for my room. Once used when I began playing.

Sax=pet.

Yamaha YBS-62 Bari: Bari sax. Occasionally used/shared by me in jazz band.

Sax=slight workhorse.

My Yanagisawa A902: Put to work all the time.

Sax=ultimate workhorse.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
My Buescher Aristocrat Alto and Conn "Chu" Alto are workhorses.

My Martin Comm I Tenor has become a shameful piece of furniture. I love that horn and it's as good an example of the breed as you'll find anywhere. I try to play it at least once a week and it lets me know what a Lame Tenor Busker I've become. If I had a whisper room and could practice all night, things might be different.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Trevor James Revolution alto = workhorse
Beuscher C mel = pet
Armstrong alto = nasty backup horn :(

·
Registered
841 Posts
I consider all my horns to be workhorses. Why pay oodles for a solid saxophone that you'll just admire from afar? They were built to be played, and play them I shall!

·
Registered
647 Posts
My Jupiter Alto 769 is my workhorse. I use heavily it for church, practice, jamming, etc. It's always reliable and consistent.
My vintage Yani Astro is more a like a thoroughbred. It's brilliant but too high strung for me at this stage. A more experience player made me an offer on it (a good one) but I'm not selling it for anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
All of my saxophones (listed below) are workhorses, although I tend to play the BA tenor and Conn art deco most of the time.

My only "pet" is a Buffet Albert system clarinet. I used it for a while when I played in the Ellington band in the late 90s. I liked it for its tone but I never put in enough time to get comfortable on the thing. I can play the tar out of it on "The Mooche", "Mood Indigo", "Rockin' in Rhythm" and "Second Line", other than that, I'd better play the Bhoem clarinet or better still, lay out and let a real clarinet player blow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Question... Can a Single Saxophone be considered both... For instance, you play it all the time, but you also polish it up and treat it like your baby, etc...

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
My workhorses are my Selmer Series III tenor, Conn 6M and Buffet SDA altos.

My big pet is my Martin Handcraft Bari. I don't much time to play it, but one day I might get a call.

I do also have occasional companions too. They come out to play as needed :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Soprano Sax Jean Baptiste- Pet
Buescher True TOne Alto- Slight workhorse
Cannonball Hotspur Tenor- Undeniable workhorse who happens to be like one of my own kids

·
Registered
784 Posts
TenTenTooter said:
I consider all my horns to be workhorses. Why pay oodles for a solid saxophone that you'll just admire from afar? They were built to be played, and play them I shall!
AMEN to that, brother !!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,183 Posts
Interesting Question:

TOTAL WORKHORSE if I could own only ONE horn EVER this would be the one.

1961 Selmer Mark VI Tenor - Never need another horn so long as this one keeps going.

SEMI-PET: Mark VI Soprano - Practice on this horn all the time. On gigs an accasional solo/background parts.

TOTAL PET: Mark VI Alto - Had it overhauled and de-lacquered because it looked so DARN new. I get an occasional Big Band job but rarely play this horn in my current gig. I go through phases where I practice on this horn TONS.

I keep the VI's because they're great all-around horns. At this point I couldn't afford to buy one due to the dramatic price increase in recent years.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Conn 6m=workhorse
Selmer Series III alto=pet
yamaha YSS-475=workhouse
la sax sop=pet
conn 10m=soon to be workhouse
buescher NA stencil=pet/former workhouse

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
All my horns are workhorses and get played a lot.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,793 Posts
My '62 King Super 20 Tenor and '44 King Zephyr Alto are my workhorses.

My '64 De-lac Mark VI Tenor and Buffet SDA Soprano are my pets.

I pull the flute out occasionally, especially when there's a female singer on the stage with me or the room has less testosterone per capita.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Conn Alto = Wall-hanger

Buescher TT C-Mel = Gee-Wiz instrument, me or the boy give it a work out now and then at home to impress guests.

Antigua Soprano = Gets an audience performance about once a month or so. But gets lots of practice time at home.

Buescher 400 Tenor = Main workhorse. Must be played almost daily or I will fall dead.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Weltklang Solist Bari: workhorse
YAS32, S1 Prestige: pets, sold them
Nova Tenor= pet, trying to sell
Conn Bass(music school!)=pet :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts