Sax on the Web Forum banner

Word games in new posts lists

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few people asked whether it would be possible to have the word games not show in the New posts list. So here is a poll to see how many want or don't want this.

The thinking behind this is that whatever may be implemented due to a majority decision is it should be advantageous to many members and inconvenience nobody.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ark-Sub-Forums-or-Threads-so-I-Don-t-See-Them

(NB: before voting those who play the games please note the games would still be highly visible and easy to find latest posts as we would put them in the own very obvious sub forum.

You will still get email notifications of new posts in the games section, you will still be able to see a list of the latest games posts on the forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,820 Posts
Re: Word games to not show in new posts lists

·
Registered
707 Posts

It would also be nice to filter out the copious 10mFan bumps and new threads.

·
38,820 Posts

It would also be nice to filter out the copious 10mFan bumps and new threads.
VERY VERY good idea

once again
YES YES YES!

sure, of course we are all free to enter any thread but to see the continuous flow of ads (and games, yesterday they even invented a new one) to which I have no interest whatsoever.

I should be possible to put all for sale in a section only visible when one is going to look for things if and when one il looking for some. I have no interest in buying mouthpieces and the copious and continuous producing of new ads with the consequent bumping (which we are no longer allowed precisely because it is annoying ) puts me absolutely off from even considering to buy anything.

Can we see who voted what?:twisted: I think I have a pretty good idea :whistle:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,118 Posts

I don't care either way, but I think this place is over-moderated. Following the decimating of the Marketplace threads, all you eventually will accomplish is making SOTW irrelevant. So before cutting something down that some members may enjoy and bring them to SOTW daily, you may want to consider what you expect to be left with. I doubt profound threads on classical or jazz theory is going to provide much volumen in a forum where a Klangbogen thread gets a 100 trillion views and responses.

·
28,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't care either way, but I think this place is over-moderated. Following the decimating of the Marketplace threads, all you eventually will accomplish is making SOTW irrelevant. So before cutting something down that some members may enjoy and bring them to SOTW daily, you may want to consider what you expect to be left with
We aren’t proposing to do away with the word games at all. I’m aware a lot of people enjoy them. All that is being proposed is that they don’t show in the list of new posts, Something that has been suggested by quite a few members.

They would be in their own forum And very easy to find for those who want them. Probably even easier than they are right now.

·
38,820 Posts

Nobody want to remove these “ entertaining” threads or the ads from the forum, the only thin is not to jump to the attention of the “ new threads” all the subscribers (if you are one) will still receive the alert in their email of new post but all the others whom aren’t interested in word games (or the ever present mouthpiece ads, special offers, closure, season’s offer, and their frequent bumps and so on) to show on the NEW posts.

If one want to look for any of this (ads or games), all you have to do is bookmark that section and have it every day to your avail.

Bookmanrk this link and you will have your games at hand

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?82-SOTW-Forum-Member-Lounge

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

What about the entire SOTW Forum Member Lounge? Why just "games"?

·
28,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What about the entire SOTW Forum Member Lounge? Why just "games"?
Basically because a lot of people have suggested games and not all lounge threads. Many of those are actually music or saxophone related anyway. I’m sure we could also look into that if enough people were in favour but one thing at a time. If you have any other suggestions, such as remove all lounge posts from the New Post list, then it would be useful to post that as a suggestion and we could then consider it.

All we are doing here is garnering opinions, we won't be able to please everybody but we can try to please the majority.

You will still get email notifications of new posts in the games section, you will still be able to see a list of the latest games posts on the forum.

·
4,118 Posts

We aren’t proposing to do away with the word games at all. I’m aware a lot of people enjoy them. All that is being proposed is that they don’t show in the list of new posts, Something that has been suggested by quite a few members.

They would be in their own forum And very easy to find for those who want them. Probably even easier than they are right now.
Then you don't need any "New Post" list at all, because everything can be found if effort is spent filing it properly (Google still works better than the search function). I gave up donating some years ago when it turned out that moderators at that time couldn't keep track of my donations. There have been plenty of complaints from moderators of being over-extended. I seriously think there are better things to do. If you really want to do something of this kind, then remove the Lounge altogether from the "New Posts" section.

·
28,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Then you don't need any "New Post" list at all, because everything can be found if effort is spent filing it properly (Google still works better than the search function).
Good point, something that, again, you could make a suggestion for and people could discuss it. However my own opinion on that is it would only work if people always posted in the correct area.

Right now I have suggested this poll to see what people think about the games, but I for one am happy to hear what people think about other aspects of the forum and how it might be improved for the benefit of the majority.

T I gave up donating some years ago when it turned out that moderators at that time couldn't keep track of my donations.
Me too, although I'm nat aware it was a moderators job to be doing that as they wouldn't have had access to information about donations. That is all bit moot moot now that the forum is owned by a large corporation and donations are no longer appropriate.

·
4,118 Posts

Me too, although I'm nat aware it was a moderators job to be doing that as they wouldn't have had access to information about donations. That is all bit moot moot now that the forum is owned by a large corporation and donations are no longer appropriate.
The point is that it is rules upon rules with peculiar exceptions. Politics is strictly forbidden except when Obama was elected, a "certain amount" (specific term used) of celebrations were in order. Avatars are supposed to be non-offensive but Martysax was permitted to have one with a child holding an automated rifle. The list goes on. Lounge post are supposed to be included among the New Posts but word or number games are not. Dinner recipes are okay. Favorite brand and color of socks presumably too. Is anyone confused??? Perhaps we could have that moderator effort spent on sales threads so discussion (constructive and respectful, obviously) would be permitted again.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Here's an idea, it's a bit radical, but here goes........................SCROLL PAST THE POSTS YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rules, rules more rules!!!! Yay rules!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Here's an idea, it's a bit radical, but here goes........................SCROLL PAST THE POSTS YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rules, rules more rules!!!! Yay rules!!!
+1

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
A resounding yes.

Also maker (mouthpiece, horn etc.) ads that appear in multiple threads. I don't need to see a customer review 3 times over several times a week.
Then DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a simple concept. Look at the title of the thread. Not interested? DON'T OPEN THE THREAD!!!!. How hard is that??

·
28,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A whole 16 people responded to the poll. Because of 14 of those people, let's change the rules.
There are no plans at the moment to change or add any rules.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts