Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I have a tenor accessible to me regularly, and oh is it fun! I come from the alto camp, where I'm used to a high resistance decent mk 6 alto with a tiny metal mouthpiece (jodyjazz esp, closed + hard reed).

As my friends and I have all finished with university, including the regular bands some play with, I convinced a friend to lend me his tenor sax, basically until he joins a band some time, which is very unlikely (casual player in school).

It's a yamaha 275 or something of the like. Essentially their yts23 with a high f# key and no silver. I'm playing on this huge rico mouthpiece (hard rubber, its a low end one but is way more open than the other mpcs) with a ZZ 3 reed. I love how I can get that huge vibrato spanning as much as I want with tenor moreso than on alto. I played around on it for an hour and a bit, and so far altissimo G is causing me some trouble, but it'll come with time. Above that, although slightly wavy with the tuning, altissimo is way easier (and higher) than on alto! What a delight! Right now my tone sounds pretty dead and hollow though, especially in the midrange. Maybe I need to blow with more power.

Anyhow, I just felt like posting something here because I am delighted and this is definitely my start on the tenor road, which I hope will take me to new and wonderful places!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
YOU'RE IN DANGER MAN :D

14 months ago I was a happy Selmer toting alto player. Then I picked up a King Cleveland tenor and a STM mouthpiece: now the Selmer's gone (not to mention the 26M!) and all I wanna do is play Night Train all day long.

Rory

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Yes!!!

Have you heard this guy on alto? He'd light up that Buescher!
R

ps. I was at L&M on Bloor a couple weekends ago and Greg mentioned that he had a Dynaction somehere in the warehouse that could go for cheap.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh boy, i'm enjoying this thing a whole lot!

not having a job has its benefits - as in many free hours a day to practice the sax! i think i'm gonna have to pick up a new mouthpiece with more power very soon, along with some reeds. And a mouthpiece patch! This thing is resonating so well it's vibrating my teeth way more than I'm used to!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts