Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Finally Distinguished
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,625 Posts
Ok, Woody Allen is no longer a good clarinet player, if he ever was one. Very hard to listen to those jabbing notes!
It almost sounds like he's trying to play a reed that would be better used as a tongue depressor or a popsicle stick.

edit -- I went back and listened to some of Woody's older stuff and he was pretty good. This must have been video from 40 or 50 years ago, though, because it was on the Dick Cavett show which went off the air in 1975.

· Finally Distinguished
3,625 Posts
JL, you now know from his response that he was not joking!
Olds, please don't model your own trad aspirations on clips like that. How about this youngster instead?:
Cheers...
That's the second shot you have taken at his playing. I give the man credit for posting his playing for all to hear. 99% of us amatuers here don't post because we're afraid someone will hit us with some harshness. Like my mom used to say, "If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything." There's no good to come from criticizing Olds publicly. Send him a PM if you must.

· Finally Distinguished
3,625 Posts
I've actually had more than two shots at his playing (and mostly/every time, he gives me a 'like' because he (says he) wants comments - critical or otherwise, to be there for all to see. Also, he usually sets the tone for such comments by criticizing his own playing/setup first. Please note though, I never comment about his recordings on the YouTube site ie. Olds treats this SOTW Forum as his PM service (rather than YouTube).
But please be fair - this time I was only having a dig at his taste in music - not his playing.
Olds wants to improve, to the extent that he indicated on a recent thread who he was going to start lessons with. On another thread Olds admitted liking trad, so I just want to make sure that he has a well rounded view of what I mean by trad. [See also his later thread: 'Careless love', which I believe should be played in the trad tradition - or at least, the person recording it should have a good grasp of the trad idiom. Anyone agreeing with me, but not saying so to Olds, will not be doing him any favors. Conversely, disagreeing with me, but not telling me, will not be doing me any favors]. Cheers...
Okay if he’s alright with it. I thought it sounded pretty harsh had he not asked for comment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts