Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some experience with the WoodWindDesign stand for bass clarinets?
Is it stable enough? How is the usability?
It seems to fit into the case (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lix3zPqmzfg). I am playing bariton and bass clarinet in a big band. A lot of things to carry. And I do not have a car. So anything reducing the things to carry is very good.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have NO experience with the WoodWindDesign stand. I use a regular/standard metal bass clarinet stand. Carbon fiber is very strong, and the stand looks to be stable. However, for ME, assembling and disassembling this stand would prove to be too tedious and time consuming. And I'd be concerned with losing parts while trying to pack up at the end of a gig.

With you having no car, this may be a good option.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,095 Posts
I've had the tab open for over a month but haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger. The prospect of bringing my bass, Bb and A clarinets and stands for all three to a gig in one case (Wiseman) sounds amazing, but my K&M just works so well that I haven't been able to justify the expense.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have one for my Soprano which also covers the flute and Clarinet,(If I am not playing all of them on the gig), Bass clarinet and two for the Baritones I play a Bb and Low, they are well made sturdy and very light. Until you get the hang of them, awkward to put together in low light, but you get used to them. I got my baritone stands from Claire Daley who did a group buy and got us some discounted prices. These stand live up to the hype. My Bass clarinet stand is for a low C Selmer and holds it quite comfortably. I am thinking about getting one for my bigger flutes and other small horns, extremely lite weight and sturdy. Well thought out design too

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,032 Posts
The prospect of bringing my bass, Bb and A clarinets and stands for all three to a gig in one case (Wiseman) sounds amazing, but my K&M just works so well that I haven't been able to justify the expense.
Other than the K&M bass clarinet stand, can you put all that in the Wiseman case? What model do you have (maybe the larger one?)? I'm assuming this includes all mouthpieces and accessories like reeds, swabs, etc.?

Because having everything in one case is exactly why I'm considering this stand (not buying it so far because I don't often use a stand) but it's borderline fitting just a bass and one soprano with all accessories in the Wiseman (the model I have at least which is the regular one). I almost never take another bag so I have everything in it. This is why I'm asking, maybe you can say how you organize everything to fit?

·
3,095 Posts
Other than the K&M bass clarinet stand, can you put all that in the Wiseman case? What model do you have (maybe the larger one?)? I'm assuming this includes all mouthpieces and accessories like reeds, swabs, etc.?

Because having everything in one case is exactly why I'm considering this stand (not buying it so far because I don't often use a stand) but it's borderline fitting just a bass and one soprano with all accessories in the Wiseman (the model I have at least which is the regular one). I almost never take another bag so I have everything in it. This is why I'm asking, maybe you can say how you organize everything to fit?
I have a model A and it's a very tight fit, but I can get all three in there, minus the reeds, which I have to stick in the little fanny pack that they supply.

Wiseman suggests that you do it this way, which I don't agree with.

When I did that, I found that the upper and lower joints of the Bb and A clarinets knocked against each other, which wasn't acceptable to me. If those outer channels had the ability to stick dividers in like you can in the middle channel, this would be a different story. But they don't. It took me a moment to figure out how I wanted to pack the case and I ended up taking notes about it to make sure I remembered!

When I load mine, the bass clarinet goes win the same way, obviously. That part is pretty much set in stone. The bass clarinet side (where the two joints and neck go) doesn't get any extra stuff.

The action happens on the other side, where the bell goes.

I've adapted some of my notes into a maybe slightly readable format. Hopefully this makes sense if you've got a Wiseman:
- neckstrap goes in a little cloth bag to keep all of the metal bits from destroying everything else. Tuck that next to the bell.
- Bb clarinet bell goes on one end of the middle channel, with the velcro divider inserted to hold it stationary. My K&M clarinet pegs get tucked into each bell and poke through the divider a little bit.
- Bb clarinet upper and lower joints and barrel remain assembled and get tucked into the outside channel (I don't think it actually matters which of the Bb and A go on which side of the center). I do find I have to be careful about how it's rotated so that it goes in in a way that doesn't put a ton of pressure on the keys, but once I get it in there, it doesn't rotate.
- A clarinet bell goes on the other end of the middle channel. Do the same on that side with the clarinet peg and velcro divider.
- A clarinet upper and lower joints remain assembled and tucked into the inside channel (again, doesn't matter which)
- A clarinet barrel and clarinet mouthpiece (assembled) and soft things like cigarette papers, pad wipes, etc (but not either swab) get tucked into the supplied leather zipper pouch designed to fit into the channel. Tuck the pouch into the center channel up against one of the dividers. This will be on top of the tip of one of the clarinet pegs, but it's OK because the bag will protect the mouthpiece and the stuff inside
- Wrap the bass clarinet swab around the bass clarinet peg. You need to wrap it up enough that the peg can't slip out and it has to be bulky enough that it won't slide side to side much. I use a microfiber swab. A silk swab might not be protective enough.
- Tuck the clarinet swab against the divider and on top of the swab-wrapped bass clarinet peg to take up a little space
- Tuck the spare barrel into the space between the zipper pouch and the clarinet swab and on top of the peg wrapped up in the swab.
- Strap that big pillow cover flap down hard and make sure that it is pulled out to the edges well (no loose flapping around in the middle).

It sounds scary (and is a little bit) but once you strap the big pillow flap down, it all seems to stay in place and doesn't make any rattling noise when I do it.

Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow if I have time.

It's not how I would ever store those instruments for longer than the time it took to get to and from a gig, but it beats carrying two cases on the bus.

I've been thinking of ways to do this better:
- Not everyone travels with three barrels and I am probably going to start just bringing one for each clarinet. If you use the same barrel on Bb and A, you might only need one, which would be even easier!
- I went to college in Santa Cruz and I remember stoners would get these little padded bags to carry their...glassware. I think I am going to find one or two of those, since they seem like they'd be good for carrying small things like extra barrels or mouthpieces and would be ideal for providing storage while also functioning as spacers.

Most of the time, I'm not bringing the A clarinet. In that case, I can fit the assembled upper joint, lower joint and bell into one of the channels, pop the mouthpiece and barrel into the pouch and then fill in the rest of the free space with reeds, neckstraps, fun accessories, etc.

Space isn't so tight in that situation, so it's more about finding a strategy that won't leave stuff loose to rattle around and won't require the fanny pack.

If I was going to be bringing all three, all the time, I'd have bought the model B or C for the extra storage space so I could avoid the fanny pack. Since I usually don't, the smaller, more compact model A is better than the B or C for 95% of my needs.

What accessories are you bringing that are taking up all of your space? Maybe you bring things that I don't. If I needed one more thing, I might not be able to fit it. I have no idea how I would handle a standing peg, for example.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Let me get this straight....you spend many, many thousands of dollars on a pro bass clarinet, then you take hard pieces of this contraption, stuff them in the bore to rattle around and scar the bore surface as you move the instrument around?????
Another bassoon/bass cl stand of this sort came out a few years ago. As a joke, I sent the ad to a double reed professor friend of mine. He was not amused.
I've got a Hercules stand that works well. No parts to assemble and lose, can be up and ready in a few seconds. Not as convenient to carry, but my bass's bore is intact. I've heard good things about K&M as well.

·
5,032 Posts
It's not how I would ever store those instruments for longer than the time it took to get to and from a gig, but it beats carrying two cases on the bus.
Other than not having a second soprano clarinet, that's the main difference. I'm definitely going to keep the clarinets the same way in the case that they are e.g. when I come back from a concert, all the time.

What accessories are you bringing that are taking up all of your space? Maybe you bring things that I don't. If I needed one more thing, I might not be able to fit it. I have no idea how I would handle a standing peg, for example.
I guess there a few differences, some are just because I like to have it a certain way.

I don't want anything in an outer pouch, prefer everything I need in the case.
I don't want any parts assembled (partly because of keeping them the same ways when taking to concerts or not).
I wouldn't wrap the swab around the peg, removing it isn't "ergonomic" enough for me (just annoying enough not to do it).
I have a harness that is always inside the bass clarinet bell.
I have half of an extra neck with a pickup attached, always in the case, it is next to the top of the bottom section, with the cable rolled into the bass neck pocket. That prevents me from stuffing that area on the other side too much.
The two main parts of the soprano clarinet are at the bottom row, same as in the photo you linked to, but the bottom section is reversed (bottom pointing left) and the rotation is different. I've never had any problem from these parts moving, etc. (doing it this way for about 15 years).
The middle row has a bell (same as the photo), then two barrels (different lengths), then the sop mouthpiece reversed with the tenon tucked into one of those dividers.
The short peg is the same row tucked into another divider more to the right, and cork grease sort of stuck there so it doesn't move too much.
The top row has reeds (a couple of boxes), the swabs for both and maybe some other tings I forget now.

Generally it feels pretty crowded, definitely not even close to fitting another clarinet. I guess if it came to bringing another case or reorganizing the clarinets in the case before each concert and then again when I'm back, I might choose the latter like you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me get this straight....you spend many, many thousands of dollars on a pro bass clarinet, then you take hard pieces of this contraption, stuff them in the bore to rattle around and scar the bore surface as you move the instrument around?????
I also do not like the idea of putting something in the bore. But there might be other places in my case. With a bariton, a bass clarinet, 2 stands, ... and no car, you start to think about options to optimze.

Until you get the hang of them, awkward to put together in low light, but you get used to them.
Many thanks, this helps. That's something I am worried. Beside the topic to loose parts.

All in all, it sounds, that this stand is more or less the only option I have. I am considering this one also for my bariton.

·
3,095 Posts
To further hijack this thread...

Nitai, I after practicing this afternoon, I decided that there had to be a way to fit everything in the case without using the external accessory bag and in a way that would allow me to disassemble my instruments more. I ended up separating the upper and lower joints and sticking the Bb clarinet swab between the Bb joints so they wouldn't have room to knock around (even though they probably wouldn't, since the padded divider presses against them firmly enough to keep them in place). The A clarinet upper and lower joints take up almost the full row, so I just stuck a little bag of microfiber cloths that I carry around (beats cigarette paper for drying pads) in between them for my own peace of mind. Like the Bb clarinet, it's unlikely they'll actually move.

Bells go in the center, same as before.

I put the bass peg under the bass swab (not wrapped) and put the Bb barrel up against the divider. Clarinet mouthpiece is currently attached to the A barrel and then I folded the swab over the two so the Bb and A barrels don't rub. Again, these are pretty well immobilized; I just don't like the idea of hard pieces rubbing against each other.

Right now I carry my clarinet reeds around in the actual reed box because I am a blasphemer or something. It works fine for me. The small Gonzalez box fits on top of the barrels in the middle row.

The big flat plastic bass clarinet reed case is the real challenge in this round case. I found a little space on top of the u-joint in the bass bell where it fit, but, again, didn't want hard pieces rubbing, so I took a piece of bubble wrap and put it on top. I'd prefer an artisanal leather reed-holder-holder to match the case's aesthetic, but the bubble wrap will have to do until we've procured the free-range leather necessary. :bluewink:

The case has a little velvet bag tethered to the inside for the bass clarinet mouthpiece that is designed to go inside the bell, so that's where my mouthpiece goes.

My neckstrap has its own little bag, so I use that and also drop my cork grease in there. That tucks neatly enough next to the bell.

I think this works and doesn't have me in such a rush to get the soprano instruments the hell out of that case as soon as I get home.

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5994.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

Pretty close to what Wiseman suggests, I guess. I still don't really get what they suggest is supposed to happen in the middle row with the bells, barrels and mouthpiece. I think my solution is better.

I love this case.

·
5,032 Posts
Edited my post... I meant I keep it the same without reorganizing before or after taking to a concert (wrote the opposite by mistake). The only exceptions are if I don't need my soprano clarinet and/or I need the long peg, both of which I take only if I need them for a specific concert.

The Bb upper and lower sections in your last photos is pretty much how I put mine in too.

Your case looks slightly different, I guess they changed it a little (mine is at least 15 years old).

For reeds I don't use a reed case. Either the cardboard box or just take them out in their individual plastic cases(?) to save space.

Another difference is my bass has a larger bell and a large fluted lock nut for the peg. It's so large that I rather remove it than the borderline way the fabric closes over it with it on. I guess I can change it to the old or Selmer style wing or knurled nut, but the large flutes are just so much more comfortable. Selmer or some older Buffet bells are a lot less tight in this case.

My case has that extra space "behind" the upper section for the bass mouthpiece (same as the photo you linked to before) and that's where I put it. I guess they changed it. I'm not sure if I got a pouch but the harness is inside the bell anyway so no space there.

The soprano bell on the right side definitely wouldn't fit because of the extra neck part with pickup I have in that area on the other side.

It looks like those small differences in what we put in the case and the difference in the cases themselves are pretty significant in how it can all fit in there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I do not put any thing inside my bass clarinet and yes I spent thousands on a good (great bass clarinet), I also spent thousands on many other horns I have to carry to gigs. I need viable options for set up in performance, Internationally and Nationally. This means I fly a lot, and and travel by train etc. I do not wish to carry 50lbs more weight in stands. These woodwind Design stands work well they fit in the case, (or inside the bore if you are so inclined), also outside the case, the maker of the stands suggestion of putting the stands inside the instrument is only one option, you can carry them in other ways.

They come in a very soft pouch. And...as far as losing parts, there is the same likelihood of losing a mouthpiece, ligature, reeds case etc if you are not careful. This stands are quite good and work very well for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not put any thing inside my bass clarinet and yes I spent thousands on a good (great bass clarinet), I also spent thousands on many other horns I have to carry to gigs. I need viable options for set up in performance, Internationally and Nationally. This means I fly a lot, and and travel by train etc. I do not wish to carry 50lbs more weight in stands. These woodwind Design stands work well they fit in the case, (or inside the bore if you are so inclined), also outside the case, the maker of the stands suggestion of putting the stands inside the instrument is only one option, you can carry them in other ways.

They come in a very soft pouch. And...as far as losing parts, there is the same likelihood of losing a mouthpiece, ligature, reeds case etc if you are not careful. This stands are quite good and work very well for me.
Many thanks, but I was already convinced before. I will get one. And one for my Bariton, where the stand fits in the bell. That's what I am doing with my other saxophones anyway already.
And for the bass clarinet I will find a place outside the bore. E.g. the bariton bell as well ;)

·
3,095 Posts
Are you going to get the longer one that cradles a Low C instrument up by the A key? Or the shorter one that cradles the instrument just above the thumb rest? I'm tempted by this as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the shorter one, because I have a low Eb bass clarinet.
For my purposes (Big Band) low Eb is sufficient. Low C instruments are bigger and more expensive.

·
3,095 Posts
I ordered one of these around the second week of July and it arrived today. It's definitely a pretty cool thing to handle! I actually cannot believe how lightweight it is.

I got the long one in hopes of being able to lean the instrument against the cradle with the mouthpiece facing up. Annoyingly, my Selmer Low C bass clarinet has a lyre holder right above the A tonehole that is right where this stand's cradle wants to hold the bass clarinet. I might remove the lyre holder (though I did end up using it once this year), since leaning it backwards against the cradle rests the instrument on the rods that operate the register vent, which seems less than ideal. The stand isn't height-adjustable.

With that said, the difference between the long and short stands is just one extension tube, which you can leave out. If I stick the cradle onto the bottom tube, it's the short/medium stand. That one actually works beautifully, even with my low C bass. I think it feels a bit more stable that way. Also, the extension tube is the same diameter as the lower tube, so it doesn't do the cool Petrushka doll nesting trick that the other tubes do. I would still probably prefer the full-length stand for an orchestra pit where I had to make quick swaps, so I might remove that lyre holder but maybe that's also me trying to justify spending an extra $25 on that carbon tube that I'm not using.

Leaving out the extension tube, there's comfortably room in my Wiseman case for my Bb clarinet and its stand, but I couldn't imagine sticking this thing into my bass clarinet's lower joint. It would rattle like crazy, and my Wiseman case also doesn't cover up the bottom of the joint, so it would also probably slide partway out. Fortunately, it fits perfectly in one of the clarinet slots. I'm not sure that there's a way to fit it into the case if I had to bring the Bb and the A, but I might be able to get creative with it. The extension tube is just one more tube, which I can stick on top of the other tube (don't want to get too precious about these things), but it's nice to be able to reduce this thing down to fit in such a small package.

The upper instrument cradle fits nicely around the bell, tucked away around the side. The lower bell cup is a bit awkward to fit in, but I found some space in there.

Everything seems to fit very snugly together. Two of the lower legs are a friction fit (the third has a notch to make sure you line up the bell cup correctly), so I'll be curious to see if any play develops over years of using it.

First impressions are good. Let's see how I feel about it in a few months or years.

I'm thinking back to my days taking the bus to orchestra gigs in a tux with my clarinet case, my bass clarinet case, my bass clarinet stand and my sheet music bag. Now I can fit all of that in my Wiseman case! Of course, now I also have a car. But still! This would have been a dream.

·
3,095 Posts
Update: removed the lyre holder and now the stand perfectly fits my Selmer Low C horn and I'm a lot more comfortable using it this way than in the shorter configuration. Fitting the extra tube into my Wiseman case isn't a big deal and this is definitely how I'd prefer to use it. It was pretty nice to take the bus to clarinet quartet rehearsal and only have to carry one case to bring my music stand, instrument stand and instrument. It's not quite as stable as my old K&M, but the weight savings and portability gains are worth that tradeoff for most situations, I'd say. The K&M now stays permanently set up in my room for practicing and writing.

I think I only ever used it once for its intended purpose (a piece that involved multiple players moving around the stage and no time to memorize music), but I will definitely miss fidgeting with that lyre holder during rests.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
OK, buddy, you've posted in basically every damn thread on this forum about your scratched stand. Time to untwist those panties, take a tablet, and relax a bit. Frankly from what I've seen of you, I'd probably be rude to you too.

·
3,095 Posts
Two years later and this is still the best bass clarinet stand I've ever encountered by a long shot.

My dealings with woodwinddesign were all excellent and my questions were answered promptly and politely.

I'll probably order the bari sax stand they make if I get back to gigging any time soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts