Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has played the old brass pieces that look similar to a dukoff? I am wondering how they play...it looks very high quality, but wondering if they play well and how they sound.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
It is the same as a short shank Dukoff. There are others with a leaf design that are Lelandais (iffy players, at best) I still think that these are they only "vintage" metal mouthpieces that play well.
Here is a clip of me playing one (a 4 star tip opening). Pardon the bad quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTNsC-jY6E

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the hardrubber version-Wolf Tayne Kills!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my Woodwind C5 Brass Tenor Mouth Piece new in 1966 and it still plays great! Use it on my Cleveland - King Tenor that I got in '63 new and still play :) How's that for a testimonial? Bright sound, loud. I'm not a pro so I can't tell you much then that. I do like the sound

·
Registered
956 Posts
Whaler, you sound great in that clip. Light years, dare I say, than probably the majority of posters here.
The proof is in the pudding, they say, so why do so many of the guys here diss you & argue with most of the opinions you post??
They should be thinking, wow, here's a guy that's been around & really can play & he's here, on this forum, what a great opportunity to hear what he has to say.

Perhaps if you sugar-coated your posts with glad-handing stories about "name" players & empty compliments & shout outs to some of the main posters here, they might like you more, BUT....

you don't & you tell it like you see (or hear) it & that's the sh*t, in my book

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
whaler, you sound great in that clip. Light years, dare i say, than probably the majority of posters here.
The proof is in the pudding, they say, so why do so many of the guys here diss you & argue with most of the opinions you post??
They should be thinking, wow, here's a guy that's been around & really can play & he's here, on this forum, what a great opportunity to hear what he has to say.

Perhaps if you sugar-coated your posts with glad-handing stories about "name" players & empty compliments & shout outs to some of the main posters here, they might like you more, but....

You don't & you tell it like you see (or hear) it & that's the sh*t, in my book
a-freaking-men!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
LOL! 3 of my favorite posters referenced in 1 thread (JGreiner, BlackObelisk, and Whaler). Checking out Whaler's clips was one of the main reasons I've switched to smaller tipped links...

All three of these cats know their stuff!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
LOL! 3 of my favorite posters referenced in 1 thread (JGreiner, BlackObelisk, and Whaler). Checking out Whaler's clips was one of the main reasons I've switched to smaller tipped links...

All three of these cats know their stuff!
The check's in the mail, my man! Seriously tho.....thanks for the compliment. I don't know about "knowing my stuff", but I guess it helps to have been around the block a few times. ;-)

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts