Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the story on a South Bend Indiana TV station and confirmed it on their website.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-south...nd-closing-its-doors-20110817,0,1230083.story

South Bend's Woodwind & Brasswind closing its doors

WSBT-TV Report

5:47 p.m. EDT, August 17, 2011

WSBT has confirmed that Woodwind & Brasswind is closing its retail store, call center and warehouse.

This affects 115 jobs. The employees were told in a company-wide meeting Wednesday.

The lease on their current facility on the west side is up in February. Dennis Haffeman, the executive vice president of human resources for the Guitar Center, said in October the company will begin moving jobs to another call center in Indianapolis.
Click here to find out more!

They are offering the positions in Indianapolis to employees here if they want to relocate. If not, they will get a severance package.

Hsffeman said the last day of operations will be December 31 with some layoffs happening before that date. They will be liquidating the merchandise in November and December.

Woodwind & Brasswind is a musical instrument company that began in 1987. The lease on their current facility on the west side is up in February.

Stay with WSBT for updates.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Re: Woodwind and Brasswind is closing Dec. 31

Just got mine a few days ago. Didn't know they were struggleling too!

Woodwind & Brasswind website http://www.wwbw.com/ says since 1978. It sounds like they are re-locating though, and not closing. Though, if that were true, wouldn't it be on their website?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

no they are closing no relocation here ! Just the sad state of our dwindling economy :cry:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I don't think the company is closing (it's part of Guitar center) but they ARE closing the Mother of all music stores. No place to go to touch instruments and test mouthpieces.

·
2,046 Posts

I just ordered 15 boxes of reeds from them...the price was $4 off per box for the usual price. As much as they've screwed up orders over the years, it'll be a shame if they do close.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts

I got the impression they are moving the store location to Indianapolis. The news report doesn't explain it well, though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Um, their main show room in South Bend is, but not the company. It says they are opening another call center in Indiana.

Your title is really really misleading.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts

Well, it could be good news for your local music store, and as far as I'm concerned they need our support.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,435 Posts

I don't see them closing as anything but bad news for the wind player. The 'local stores' are all guitar/drums/keyboards and you can hardly find a reed in there. I've been a customer there since well before the internet, and I bought into the old 'customer club'. That really simplified ordering by phone as you simply gave your customer number and they had all your info. The payoff was a discount on instruments and accessories. Unfortunately, they did not address the existence of the 'customer club' when converting to the current format - it was just dropped with no explanation or membership fee payback. This was one thing that still sticks in my craw, and there have been others. I have always thought that their 'sales' were BS. They acted like they didn't care whether they sold anything or not, and their 'B'-stock prices were too high. Right now they are trying to sell 'used' Guardala Laser-Trimmed mouthpieces for $229 that new are only $275, and there is no description of how 'used' they are or how they got 'used' (probably abused by trialing). I never thought they had customer service worth a hoot, but I have to admit, I've spent a ton up there over the years. All in all it's a sad day for sax players and other winds, because who else is going to do what they did?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I got the impression they are moving the store location to Indianapolis. The news report doesn't explain it well, though.
Hey everyone. I work for WWBW in the Retail Store, have for the past 4.5 years.

The Woodwind and Brasswind, as you all know it, is closing. The Retail store, as of Dec. 31st, is no more.

Corporate announced yesterday that they're moving the call center jobs to a Guitar Center location in Indy. There will be some operations there as well but no retail store.

It's a damn shame, because WWBW is one of the few places in the country, if not the ONLY place, where you can play test 3 dozen tubas, a dozen R13s, special order pretty much anything you'd like.

The wave of the future - corporate greed! :cry:

·
2,853 Posts

Corporate greed has been around for a long, long time. The wave of the future (and present) is the internet. You can make money selling instruments and not have to pay for the real estate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts

The wave of the future (and present) is the internet. You can make money selling instruments and not have to pay for the real estate.
Sure, that's right. However, instruments are sort of like clothes. There will always be retail clothing stores because people need to see how the clothes look and fit.

·
Banned
864 Posts

Hey everyone. I work for WWBW in the Retail Store, have for the past 4.5 years.

The Woodwind and Brasswind, as you all know it, is closing. The Retail store, as of Dec. 31st, is no more.

Corporate announced yesterday that they're moving the call center jobs to a Guitar Center location in Indy. There will be some operations there as well but no retail store.

It's a damn shame, because WWBW is one of the few places in the country, if not the ONLY place, where you can play test 3 dozen tubas, a dozen R13s, special order pretty much anything you'd like.

It's funny--I was in a Border's bookstore for its going-out-of-business sale a couple days ago and a clerk attributed the same thing to that concern going under--"corporate greed."

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever. If you're closing your doors, it's not a sign of greed but losing your shirt! Obviously, if you're greedy, you'd continue to sell your "overpriced" stuff to "suckers" like us, would you not? :bluewink:

But yes, I'm afraid it's due to this awful, awful economy in which folks are not making as many discretionary, non-essential purchases on things like hobbies and in which consumer confidence is at a 3-decade low.

A couple years or so ago, someone posted a thread on here called "A Change is Gonna Come." So two and a half years later and with another retailer that we've all used over the years biting the dust, I have to ask: How's it workin' out for ya? :bluewink:

(And btw the the "Bummer" part of this thread's title calls to mind a nickname of a certain someone....)

·
2,597 Posts

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever. If you're closing your doors, it's not a sign of greed but losing your shirt! Obviously, if you're greedy, you'd continue to sell your "overpriced" stuff to "suckers" like us, would you not?
Actually, that makes no sense. Kind of like saying they are losing money on each sale, but making up for it with volume.

It is not clear if they are losing their shirt (although that is entirely possible). It is also possible that they are still making money from the retail store, but that they decided to get rid of it because it has higher costs, and their margins would be higher from becoming an internet-only store. In the latter case, corporate greed is a reasonable way to describe what they are doing. The employee of WWBW probably knows better than the rest of us which it is.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
My biggest concern is that, if they are moving call centers, does that mean that they will have people taking the orders and calls who even know anything about the inventory or WWBW at all? It's gotten sloppy enough as it is.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Actually, that makes no sense. Kind of like saying they are losing money on each sale, but making up for it with volume.

It is not clear if they are losing their shirt (although that is entirely possible). It is also possible that they are still making money from the retail store, but that they decided to get rid of it because it has higher costs, and their margins would be higher from becoming an internet-only store. In the latter case, corporate greed is a reasonable way to describe what they are doing. The employee of WWBW probably knows better than the rest of us which it is.
You're the one who's not making sense. The very definition of greed would be gouging your customers. The opposite of greed would be selling for close to cost or giving all your profits to charity. By using the quotes I was trying to express this idea somewhat sarcastically.

No, if you're closing your doors, it's a loss of what was once a going concern and a loss in other ways as well, mainly in terms of all those employees who will be filing for unemployment, doing their part to tick that percentage up yet further.

But like I said, how's it workin' out for ya?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wonder what percentage of their sales comes from sales done at their retail store in South Bend. I have never been to their retail store. All my purchases are online. Maybe they realized that the percentage of floor sales isn't significant enough to keep the retail store open and just focus on online sales? It's still sad to hear that they're closing down their retail store.

·
2,597 Posts
But like I said, how's it workin' out for ya?
Since you insist: the (private sector) firm I worked for folded in late 2008, as a result of the collapse of the real estate and securities markets. I got a job with a government agency, where I just got a pay cut on the theory that "everyone must share the pain," even though pay there has been flat since about 2005, at far less than what I made in the private sector.

Yes, WWBW closing its doors is a loss in many ways, regardless of whether you liked dealing with them or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts