Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that comparison (Wood vs plastic) should have been discussed numerous time, but I searched the Forum say "wood vs plastic", "clarinet wood plastic" and cannot find one easily.

So, could you please point me to some info about this "Wood vs Plastic Clarinet"

Would I get a wood(y) sound from Wood, and get a Plastic sound from Plastic?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,959 Posts
No. My metal clarinet sounds very much like my wood clarinets, not at all like a sax.

You can try to get whatever sound you like from whatever material, but clarinets sound like clarinets.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Does Wood Clarinet much heavier than Plastic? (I mean in the feeling that after you practice Clarinet an hour continuously).

I just read another thread about Clarinet strap and there mentioned that plastic is lighter than Wood.

Would that (the weight of clarinet) be significant in long practice?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't think so. The yamaha is ABS resin, which is synthetic material. Hard rubber is a natural material.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, just looked it up, ABS resin is made of several different chemicals. So it is not hard rubber.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
I have a B12. It is significantly lighter than my R13 (or any other of my wood clarinets).

that said, alot of the "woody" sound is obtained from the reed and a good mpc and wood barrel would make it sound even better.

If you do not have a very good accoustically trained ear there could be very little difference in the tonal qualities .. and then distance may have effects.

i'm waiting for Carl to make a xylophone from clarinet joints .....

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
You are correct, although most Hard Rubber used has at least some synthetic (plastic) in the mix.

Hard Rubber is usually used today for intermediate or better horns as an alternative (and a VERY suitable one in my opinion) to wood.

Plastic/resin is used almost solely for student instruments (although I have played several of the better plastic bodied models, and rate them better than the more "traditional" clarinet crowd typically does).

The performer can often detect some differences in the way a clarinet sounds based on material, but very few listeners can, based solely on that parameter. The same is largely true with mouthpiece material.

I hand make various bagpipes (one of the most conservative, tradition driven music fraternities), and that community has experimented with just about every wood and and other material for the components (involving both conical and cylindrical bores, single and double reeds) for quite some time now. Many makers now offer alternative materials to natural wood, usually Delrin/Polypenco. The difference in tone is minimal to non existent.

African Blackwood/Grenadilla, Honduran Rosewood, and Cocobolo (with Lignum Vitae and Ebony being popular in the past) are the most popular woods for these pipes as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I hand make various bagpipes (one of the most conservative, tradition driven music fraternities), and that community has experimented with just about every wood and and other material for the components (involving both conical and cylindrical bores, single and double reeds) for quite some time now. Many makers now offer alternative materials to natural wood, usually Delrin/Polypenco. The difference in tone is minimal to non existent.
Yeah, but I bet the bag material makes a big difference in the sound.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,462 Posts
I did the plumbing on my kitchen remodel a few years back and used ABS pipes for the new sewer lines. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi

What about the material of the MPC Yamaha 4C come along with the Clarinet? Is that Plastic or hard rubber?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,266 Posts
Let me add my two cents here and give you more of a performers impression of the differences between a plastic and wood clarinet. The following is more of my opinions than anything scientific.

1. A wood clarinet sounds fuller bodied, mellower, and lusher than a plastic clarinet.
2. The physical feel of the wood clarinet is better than that of plastic. I find them less slippery, bigger in diameter, and slightly heavier than plastic. The wood also seem to be slightly better balanced weight wise than the plastic. The weight of the wood makes the clarinet easier to handle. The wood clarinets seem to be bigger in diameter than the plastic. This may be an outer diameter issue. I have played some plastic that seem to have a bigger inner diameter but appear to have a smaller outer diameter.
3. I tend to tire faster playing a plastic clarinet than a wood clarinet. I feel like this is due to the resistance of the two. I always feel that the plastic clarinets are even more free blowing than the wood varieties. I love a free blowing clarinet, but not to the point that I have gotten with the plastic I have played.
4. I find I get have better intonation and control with a wood clarinet than a plastic clarinet.

These are just my impressions and opinions. Nothing more. I will never go back to playing a plastic clarinet. To put it simply, I find it easier to play a wood clarinet and I think the wood clarinet sounds better.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I did the plumbing on my kitchen remodel a few years back and used ABS pipes for the new sewer lines. :)
And your sewer line would have sounded no better if it were made from timber. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts