Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
How can I argue with anyone who uses a pic of Marty Feldman ( as Igor - in Young Frankenstein ) in his profile.......

The second (alto) pic looks a bit like a modern version of the extra RH keys that operated the bell notes, that some Buffets had in the early 1900's. Is this a quiz, or do you know which sax it's from ?

http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/buffet/misc/catalogsnmisc/1899ad.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I love it, even if does look like a customised fence post. I wonder how much it weighs? Would love to hear a sound clip... :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Interesting pictures. As for the tenor, at what point does this stop being considered a saxophone and becomes more of a bass clarinet with sax keywork?

·
Registered
92 Posts
saxfreak said:
Interesting pictures. As for the tenor, at what point does this stop being considered a saxophone and becomes more of a bass clarinet with sax keywork?
As long as it retains a conical bore.

Dean

·
Registered
560 Posts
DeanSilliman said:
As long as it retains a conical bore.
Good point.
With the wood tenor, in addition to all the headaches with mouthpiece, reeds, leaks, etc., now you also have to add in fear of termites!

·
Registered
706 Posts
this horn might play great.. I love the wooden paraschos neck and they also look great. This sax is very akward looking.. I bet paraschos or another experinced woodwind manufacturer would be able to make a straight soprano, alto and tenor that wouldn't look loke a fence! They might even be able to make curved horns if some parts are split in halves (like the paroschos necks)...tarogatos which are conical-bored look great but they have clarinet-like keywork so I do not really consider them saxes..

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
But now we can tell this joke.

What's the difference between an Alto and Tenor sax? A Tenor burns longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Maybe the wooden sax is the one they breed xaphoons from.....:( .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Cmel, if you get a look at some of the older Oskar Adler German horns you will see similar right hand stack keys as that link you posted. I have one of the altos with the spatual keys over the right stack, waiting for an overhaul.

Speyman, what is your source for those pix? I want to see more.
The wooden horn looks like a contrabass recorder in many ways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts