Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I took the tooth patch off of my wooden (ebony) LeBayle baritone mpc because it was sliding off. It left a lot of sticky glue residue on it.

I tried to clean it with some soapy water but there was still some left.
I later tried alcohol and Q-tips and that got more of it off but it also discolored on the Q-tips (is the wood stained?).

I'd like to get the rest of the glue off before putting on a new patch but I'm afraid of drying out the wood to much with the alcohol. All my other mpcs are HR and I'm a bit worried about warping and cracking on this one.

I've owned the piece for less than 2 years and I've oiled it a couple of times with sweet almond oil, the same I use on my clarinets.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have had experience with wood mpcs.
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,201 Posts
To remove the remainder of the residue try a bit of Crisco shortning on a cotton ball or soft cloth. This should loosen the adhesive without drying the wood. Any excess can be washed off with soapy water before applying the new patch.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so very very much bandmommy !!!
I didn't have any Crisco so I tried it with butter and it worked like charm !
All the residue came off !
I wish I had known this before trying the alcohol.
Thanks again !

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,201 Posts
You're very welcome.
Once in a while I do have something worthwhile to contribute. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
No soggy notes with Crisco!

And I bet you make a flaky pie crust too! I'm a fan of wood mps, so I'll store this tip away. Thanks.
MM

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried this again recently on HR and wood mpcs but this time with cork grease, it worked just as well.
I'm guessing that most sax players will be more likely to have cork grease on hand than Crisco......or would they?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts