Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, who makes a great Wooden alto mouthpiece? I have tried the one form Theo Wanne, but it was brighter than I thought it would be. It was probably due to the fact that the tip opening was larger than I am used to.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
No it was not the tip for sure. Which kind of wood do you like?

Stan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Gaia has a baffle in it and I'm used to a large chamber alto mouthpiece. I don;t knwo much about the different woods and what they do to sound.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i would go for a theo wanne ambika then....wannes stable wood process works!!! it is the number one problem with a wood piece...may play great for a while and then,boom...one day everything changes.....bright is not a term that is generally associated with a theo mouthpiece either,so im wondering if you can try a variation....are you using the enlightened ligature???try another reed plate...i favor the thick heavy brass,sterling silver and stainless steel as well as titanium...they are all on the dark side,with different characteristics....
i really have a hunch that by doing that or even changing reeds ,you can get that to work for you

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent about an hour going through different reeds and all of his mouthpieces, they were all brighter than I thought. You have to rememebr that I play on a DVNY which is real dark. It's darker than most rubber pieces. Don;t get me wrong Theo's work is great, it's just not what I am looking for. He was real nice and his crew was super.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
wood is still a tough call..... i rate mine Wanne,Brancher then Lebayle..... and i like DARK!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
I have had a Pomarico mouthpiece that wasn't bad at all, they have discontinued those.

" Stan", who is the second to have posted in this thread has helped HSM make some pretty impressive wooden and acrylic/wood hybrid mouthpieces in the past .......I believe that now he favours other materials

·
1,019 Posts
Hi Milandro,
you are right, I am using other materials at this time (although wood is always present for aesthetic reasons) but I really love wood mouthpieces and I still have some here made many years ago which still play well. I've experimented mainly with seasoned briar root and ebony wood. Briar mouthpieces look really amazing! When I made the first one I've spent a long time just looking at it before playing.. :). I am just making an ebony wood mouthpiece for alto, the ebony wood I use is quite rare (as well as expensive). I will let you know how it plays and maybe post some pictures here or on the new HSM website (still under construction). If you live in a dry place I would not recommend a wood mouthpiece, in all the other situations it is fine.

All the best,

Stan

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Stable wood is a different animal than the wood used in Branchers or Lebayles. The "pores" in stable wood have been injected with plastic resin under high pressure. The resulting hybrid material is as stable as a plastic mouthpiece.

·
38,885 Posts
I understand this kind of hybridisation would solve the warping problems but makes me wonder as to why using " wood" in the first place other than for aesthetic reasons, a bit like that Gottsu Susu which is old bamboo full of tar that is completely covered and encased in resin (so the mouthpiece is made of resin the bamboo is inside the resin doing virtually, if anything could be done by materials ........)

·
38,885 Posts
I predict that someone is going to order a new mouthpiece soon

·
1,019 Posts
Thank you friends :)

Stan

·
38,885 Posts