Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I think I'll be using it a lot now that I know it exists :p

Anyways, on from the formalities. I am mostly a sax player, but I play clarinet and flute, too. My clarinet is a Buffet B12, and I recently came across a very nice old wooden clarinet, which hasn't been used in about fifty or sixty years. All the pads are shot, but I was wondering if the mouthpiece and barrel of this clarinet would produce a different (hopefully nicer) sound than my standard stuff that came with the B12? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I think the only way to know is to try it and see what happens. It's very likely to be different, but whether its better is going to be subjectve. Pay very careful attention to the intonation.

If the bore and length of the barrel are the same you're in with a chance.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My absolute first thought is about changes in humidity and how much oil is left in that wood and the likelihood of A + -B = Crack...

Other than that, my newest clarinet is now 44 years old and my big-bore Conn 444N has hit 64 and sounds fabulous!

Try to avoid cracking the wood (assuming it's not already cracked) and make some wonderful music. Will it be a nicer sound? That's really up to you!

KennyD

·
Registered
602 Posts
The mouthpiece might be OK. Worth a try. But the barrel isn't at all likely to help. It might not be the right length or bore, and just because it's wood doesn't guarantee that it's any good. Keep in mind that 60-year-old clarinets generally had a bigger bore than modern instruments, and tended to use shorter barrels. A barrel upgrade can make a big difference, but check out the aftermarket units available instead.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I think I'll be using it a lot now that I know it exists :p

Anyways, on from the formalities. I am mostly a sax player, but I play clarinet and flute, too. My clarinet is a Buffet B12, and I recently came across a very nice old wooden clarinet, which hasn't been used in about fifty or sixty years. All the pads are shot, but I was wondering if the mouthpiece and barrel of this clarinet would produce a different (hopefully nicer) sound than my standard stuff that came with the B12? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
It doesn't matter what material the barrel is made from. Depending on the bore design of the barrel and its length, it may work well with your particular mouthpiece/instrument reed setup, or it might not. You just have to try it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,548 Posts
I've been using wooden barrels on both of my Yamaha (not wood) clarinets. Very happy with the result: better tone and louder. The intonation is better too, but that is because the barrels are slightly shorter than standard which helps since I'm pretty weak on the clarinet. Some older barrels will not fit, be too long or have a different bore which will affect intonation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help! At least for my next performance, in the beginning of February, I'm going to stick with my plastic equipment, as I've practiced with it and I can get a clearer tone with it, but afterwards I may try and switch the mouthpieces. I haven't noticed any difference in the barrel, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts