Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was extremely impressed with a woman named Ada Rovatti (I think it was her name, it was months ago) who played in Randy Brecker's group when they came to my city. I've actually heard she's his wife, but I dunno for sure. She was obviously Trane-inspired, and had a really hard-bop tone. She played with a lot of soul. There is a perception among some people that women sax players always have to have a velvety tone, and play soft stuff, but man this woman sure proved that notion wrong. It was a pleasure to hear her.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Check out Dutch saxophonist Tineke Postma. I love her sound on both alto and soprano, her playing and writing; and she&s only in here 20's. Heard her live in Italy last summer and she smoked! She's got a CD on Munich Records: BMCD 407. www.TinekePostma.com.

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
There's a big band out there called Diva or Divas or something like that that's entirely made up of women. I've never heard them, but a lot of my friends were VERY impressed when they came and did a clinic at this jazz camp here.

Chris S

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was wondering how long it would be until someone mentioned Candy Dulfer. My friends crazy about her, but I don't really like her music.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I second Jane Ira Bloom, she's excellent. I want to hear more from her.

...has anyone ever heard of a band called the "International Sweethearts of Rhythm?" I think that's the name. They were a band in the 40's I believe, and were comprised entirely of women. I'd be interested in listening to them, but I've never seen any cds of them in stores.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going to see the Norwegian Tenor player Bodil Niska when she plays at the Edinburgh Jazz festival next month. I've never actually heard her before but she "works in the tradition of jazz legends such as Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Zoot Sims or Coleman Hawkins" so it should be quite interesting. Anyone seen her play?

·
Registered
638 Posts
thesonandall said:
There's a big band out there called Diva or Divas or something like that that's entirely made up of women. I've never heard them, but a lot of my friends were VERY impressed when they came and did a clinic at this jazz camp here.

Chris S
Yeah, they are a very strong band. I know one of the trumpet players, and she introduced me to a few of the other players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Here in Washington, DC I used to hang out with a fine tenor player named Candace de Bartolo, who's now based in New York City. Still here in DC (I believe) is a lady with a reputation as the top bari player in town, her name is Leigh Pilzer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Candy Dulfers live stuff is amazing!!!!
There was a female sax player on BET on Jazz, she played alto in a big band, kinda heavy set with brown hair and glasses.. She was absolutely amazing but i didnt get her name or the name of the big band.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I heard of this other girl who plays soprano and alto. Mindi Abair. I found her while researching some Protec sax cases. She sounds pretty good, She plays a mix of pop music and smooth jazz.She also sings on her own tracks.

http://mindiabair.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
This is interesting...as my friend Claire Daly just won the TDWR poll
in DownBeat on bari...and placed 1st. They included her in a full article
with Chris Potter and Steve Wilson. In speaking to her yesterday I mentioned that I sure hoped this leads to more exposure/better gigs and
a better recording scene. Shes without a label to record on...and really
has no manager...for someone who at this point NEEDS one.
Lets wish her well...shes a swingin' player...and a great person.
Years ago she did a pop-funk demo that never came out...just as a refrence,and she sounds killin' in a Maceo style alto bag. BUT- in all sincerity...Claire really has a VOICE on bari.EG-its her horn. I can't say enuf about her. She has expression and tells a story when she plays.That is really missing in a lot of musicians these days.
Another great player, is Jennifer Hall in LA. Mindi used to be Jens sub in a pop-funk band out there..till she became Mindi. :) Jennifer plays a lot in Jack Sheldons band and swings hard. Great soprano player ( yani curved) and all round great woodwind player. We played together in LA a bunch and shes someone who PLAYS from the gut and heart. Great cook on mexican food too. lol-
Sue Terry is no stranger to these boards...somehow she biz wise gets neglected in the press. In a fair world she should be as well known and recorded as Bobby Watson. And, thats no slam on Bobby its a nod to Sues strengths. The media is asleep on her. As far as a lead alto player Sue is in line with Jerome Richardson or Jerry Dodgion. I prefer her sound in a section to many others.She evokes that REAL NyC lead alto sound. Other than that...shes funny, very smart and has great street chops. When we hang theres always something funny happening. Like at one of my back yard partys one of Sues chihuahuas tried to hump the neighbors french poodle. It was funny, and my sister-in-law sais " Sue your dog is after that poodle." Sue sais-" yea Harry likes big women!!! " :lol:
My mom is still laughing over that. Harry the chihuahua is famous too.
He's a legend in his own mind~ :shock: :lol:
Nice pic of me and Sue here from one of our gigs.
http://www.timpricejazz.com/images/gallery/sueterry/5.jpg
Another great player IS Jenny Hill.I did the liner notes on her CD
" Liquid Horn". She should be as popular as anyone.Her cross of World Beat-Pop-spoken word and jazz is the best.
Also,, theres a great player named Carol Chaikin in LA. Carol is very serious and a real wild woman player. She plays kinda advanced Grossman-Bob Berg type lines and totally kills. She also plays some stunning alto via a Mariano influence. ( a common bond between us)
She kinda is under exposed but a serious soul.LatelyI got her on a Don Byas kick. :mrgreen:
Nancy Curtis should be mentioned even tho shes a flute player..shes part of Bert Wilsons ensembles and just a fantastic voice.
Virginia Mayhew is another. You can hear her voice in her sound.

In addition...even tho' shes a student of mine at the New School.. there is a good player named Melina Gillard. Shes really earthy. She used to study in Columbus Ohio w/ Gene Walker...and she is killin'.
Keep an ear out for her. She was at the party with Harry the chihuahua.
And we also had a jam that day...a totally improvised sax quartet. With her and me and Sue Terry and Kenny.
( yea- my neighbors never complain- hahaha :roll: )
Melina is very funny to.I got her in Rachel Z's harmony class and Z is always tellin me storys about this girls wacky stuff. But she plays really fantastic and loves Ellington stuff.
( dont ever start her on Kenny G ok?? you'll die laughin' )
Check her page at;http://hometown.aol.com/jazzsaxdiva/
Of course Jane Ira Bloom. Her new CD " Chasing Paint" is really one of her best ever. http://www.janeirabloom.com/cd/cd_chasingpaint.html
Anyhow...these are some great musicians. Very unique saxophonists and an asset to all things saxophone.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts