Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
are the Wolfe Tayne with the number on the side of the same vintage as the Fla Links?
I've seen real vintage ones with the number on the table, and recent ones with the number on the shank, but they are also some with the number on the side. Are tey better made than the current ones?
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
I don't know how much help this will be, but I had a Link and a Wolf Tayne in high school (1969-72) and both had the serial number on the side. The Link is a Florida, and I still have it and play it regularly. Wish I still had the WT.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a WT 6 with table number from 1964 (Rayburns in Boston while at Berklee) It is an outstanding piece, as is my later nickel 7.
I currently have collected Alto 5 and 6, Tenor 5,6,and 7, and Bari 7.
Last time I played the Tenor 7 on a gig, Bruce Johnstone commented on how solid my sound was on it. It must sound OK!
They are all well made pieces, a little edgier than a Link, and speak very well.
I use Fibracell 2-2 1/2 on them all.

·
Registered
962 Posts
B-A-D:

Alto 5 on side; Tenor 5 & 6 (both gold) on table; All others on shank. Other alto is not a 6 but a 9.

COllege student of a band mate in Erie just got a tenor 7 from Finland on ebay - we'll report on his impressions once worked on for a while.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have three - two for Tenor and one for Alto. I would have to dig them out of my shoebox-o-mouthpieces to see where the facings stamps are. I don't remember. I bought two of the in the late '70's early '80's time frame. The third one was a Ralph Morgan reface that I got in a trade deal.

For a long time I played Wolfies on both Alto and Tenor but just really fought with them for intonation. I wasn't unahppy with the sound I got on them but just couldn't control them. Maybe just my chops weren't up to the task ? Finally, I quit playing them altogether and primarily switched to Morgan Excaliburs which I absolutely love.

The Wolfe-Tayne's don't generally seem to have high asking prices when I see them offered for sale. FWIW...I have never been tempted to buy another one.

And...last but not least, for the whole 26 years that I played in Dayton, Ohio I don't think I ever ran across anyone else who had a Wolfe-Tayne on their neck. Maybe there is some reason for that...?

·
Registered
962 Posts
It was easier for salesman in Ohio to spell four letter words on receipts, such as Link and Berg - and maybe the profit margin was greater on those pieces? ;)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
I just picked up a wolf tayne 6 tenor used on ebay . i was shocked at how good it played.the price 15.71 . cheap! . parts of it are down to the bare brass. should i not be playing it until i have it plated? im worried that playing the bare brass will result in making me even more stupid LOL anyways this wolfie plays really nice .super easy to control with edge if i push it. its not as loud as my berg 105/1 sms but easier to play.the table has worn down to bare brass but i can make out a faint 6 on it.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
If your mouth tingles when you play it or you have a bad after-taste you do not like, consider having it plated. There is no such thing as brass poisoning but there are alergic reactions to brass (and nickel) for some people.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
yea the taste is terrible. i have a friend that does playin. ill take it to him before messing with it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts