Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing on this mouthpiece forever. I'd really like to send it off to get it cleaned up on rails and table, bite plate repaired. So I've been trying to find another one just like it as a spare. Fugeddaboudit! I can find Taynes, but not a 10. I just got a Bari WTII from a guy in Australia that's just plain stuffy to me, which was kind of a surprise, I have a WTII on alto that almost shrieks. At least it was relatively cheap.

Even though it's labeled a 10, I think the tip opening is at or near .110. So question is, first of all: how can I better find another one? Surely these have to exist somewhere besides my tenor case. Second of all, if I can't find another one just like it (and especially for others that play a Tayne), what other pieces would be at least similar? I've tried Jody Jazz, way too bright. Heard others playing a Durga, for me, still way too bright. I haven't played a Berg that works for me like the Tayne does. I'm saving an old New York double ring Link for when I'm old(er) and feeble(r), it's not as loud as the Tayne but works about the same, and takes next to no air to move -- I can play phrases easily twice as long.

I've never been much of a gear guy, and I just plain don't know what to try!

Or, if you have a Wolfe Tayne 10 tenor that you're not using, I'm your guy.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I made a video a while back on 3 similarly constructed mouthpieces. I later found a forth one but the name escapes me now. The baffles are a bit different but you may like them better ( or not). You might need custom facing work to copy your WT 10 facing to another mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The mojo video is very informative about these mouthpieces.

I'm a former Berg guy. I have a couple of "Wolfies" which were made for Jay Corre.
One is a Guy Hawkins 9 which measures .108. Perhaps not as bright as the WT but a versatile powerhouse.
The other is a BARI .110 made of the same blank but with a Dukoff/Guardala style step baffel. I'm pretty sure it is the same as the US Selmer metal from the same time period. This one will tear the walls down.

Anyway, I think you can still get decent Guys and Wolfies by Babbitt. The Guy Hawkins is a good substitute when the band tells you the sax is too loud and you're not mic'd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Ted Nash used to use these old Wolfe Tayne metal mouthpieces. I think he's on something else now.

I have a Wolfe Tayne 8 hard rubber thats one of my main tenor pieces. Its a Brilhart hard rubber blank set up at .095" by Norbert Statchel. Originally it was at .090"

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info!

The Babbitt site only lists new Taynes up to a .90 tip opening. The Bari .110 I recently got just doesn't work for me for some reason. I'll keep looking I guess! I'd give a Guy Hawkins a go, or a Meyer like in Mojo's video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts