Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an old SM98 which I use with the A98KCS clip. I'm more than happy with this mic but I need to use wireless system on some situations. I know there are decent and not too expensive wireless mics in the market but I'd prefer to add a wireless system to my SM98 because I like how it sounds. What would you recommend? What would be the cheapest way to add a wireless system to my SM98?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are various types of wireless xlr cables/transmitters that might be worth checking out.
Thank you for your reply. since it's a condenser microphone the transmitter should also work as preamp or to provide phantom power in order to use the original preamp.

·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's OK, I just mentioned because that reduces the alternatives.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not the cheapest, but my favorite is the Sennheiser system where both the transmitter and receiver are battery powered belt packs. The whole thing fits in a gig bag or flight case- no big half rack receiver to carry around. You can use them with rechargeable AA batteries. Great for international travel without having to worry about power requirements. You can often get them used at a decent price. Like this-

Just need an adapter from your mic (TA4f I think) to locking 1/8". Otherwise most any wireless will work with the correct adapter. Look at Line 6 G55, Shure PGXD or GLXD for solid wireless that don't need any adapter for your mic. You can often pick up a used one of those around $250 on FB marketplace, CL, Reverb, Ebay etc.

·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes exactly. I’m assuming that your SM98 terminates in a TA4F connector? If it’s a full size XLR you may have to get it rewired. Most wireless system body packs will provide the right amount of phantom power to your mic with the right adapter, as it’s a pretty standard requirement for lav mics. I think find the wireless system you like best based on what specs are most important to you (analog or digital, cost, form factor, etc.) and then get the adapter that makes it work. I have used Shure, AMT, and DPA mics with Shure, Sennheiser and Line 6 wireless systems. They all work great and are interchangeable with the right adapters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts