Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search function is less than helpful, as it often is!

I'm toying with the idea of getting a wireless system as an upgrade from my wired Shure 98h/c. The obvious choice is the Shure 98 wireless bundle but I'm curious what else the forumgoers recommend.
Must output at line level. Part of how I'm justifying the wireless system is factoring out the cost of a preamp!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I recently went through the same search. Three systems I considered, least to most expensive and there are various comments/reviews about each if you dig in the forum:

1. Samson AWX Wind Instrument Micro Transmitter UHF Wireless System (D: 542 to 566 MHz)

2. Shure GLXD14/Beta98H Instrument Wireless System (Z2 Band: 2400 - 2483.5 MHz)

3. AMT Quantum 7 Wireless

I didn't need a cadillac or the gold standard, although I wanted something high quality that presents the sound of the instrument well. I purchased the Shure system and I am very happy; it is the more traditional belt clip-on. The other two clip to the horn so a little more convenient, but I went with the Shure based on the reputation of the Beta98H and the supporting wireless set-up. It does a good job capturing the tone of the horn, especially mids and highs.....lows are fine. If you have a wizard at the soundboard, they will adjust the frequency pick-ups as well. I bought it from WWBW and took advantage of a 15% off sale and it was $500ish. The Samson is a couple hundred less, I believe, and a number of people are happy with it. The AMT is mid-$800's....great reviews too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,079 Posts
I haven't used the Shure system, but I do hate Belt Packs. :) I've used both the Samson and the AMT, and currently use the AMT.

If you're on a budget, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Samson. It gets the job done, it's very easy to use, and it's convenient.

The sound quality of the AMT element absolutely beats its pants off, however. My AMT has hundreds of gigs behind it at this point and it's been one of the best gear purchases I've ever made -- and I bought it used, too, so it's clearly held up to the road rash.

If you have money for the AMT: the sound quality is worth it. If not: the Samson will treat you just fine, it's a workhorse. If you can stand a belt pack, the Shure and other options are probably just fine too, I hate em though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I have a Samson....somewhere. I got iton a whim thinking I’d switch from my Shure. I really tried to like it because ditching the body pack seemed like a great idea. The first one broke. I just didn’t like the replacement.

I use the Shure Beta 98 all the time.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,794 Posts
I haven't used the Shure system, but I do hate Belt Packs. :)
Many years ago I started using the Shure WM98 but only had one mic for alto and tenor.

I quickly realized that I did not want to take the mic on and off each sax between songs. Just not practical. So I purchased a second Shure WM98 and BP on the same frequency and made two brackets from material that I purchased at Ace hardware which hold each BP to the front of the low Bb guard with a screw. The thin mic cable is loosely wrapped around the bell.

I have used the brackets and the WM98's for years on alto, tenor and bari with no issues at all.

A fellow sax player and friend (Bill Mecca) found out what I was using and took the idea and used some different materials which apparently work fine;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIUir4o0K0

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Many years ago I started using the Shure WM98 but only had one mic for alto and tenor.

I quickly realized that I did not want to take the mic on and off each sax between songs. Just not practical. So I purchased a second Shure WM98 and BP on the same frequency and made two brackets from material that I purchased at Ace hardware which hold each BP to the front of the low Bb guard with a screw. The thin mic cable is loosely wrapped around the bell.

I have used the brackets and the WM98's for years on alto, tenor and bari with no issues at all.

A fellow sax player and friend (Bill Mecca) found out what I was using and took the idea and used some different materials which apparently work fine;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIUir4o0K0
That is brilliant, love it.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,527 Posts
I've used Samson products for two decades and they work great although I am sure there are better mics out there. If I were a rich man I would go for the AMT kit.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't used the Shure system, but I do hate Belt Packs. :) I've used both the Samson and the AMT, and currently use the AMT.

If you're on a budget, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Samson. It gets the job done, it's very easy to use, and it's convenient.

The sound quality of the AMT element absolutely beats its pants off, however. My AMT has hundreds of gigs behind it at this point and it's been one of the best gear purchases I've ever made -- and I bought it used, too, so it's clearly held up to the road rash.

If you have money for the AMT: the sound quality is worth it. If not: the Samson will treat you just fine, it's a workhorse. If you can stand a belt pack, the Shure and other options are probably just fine too, I hate em though!
The AMT really has my attention, but I can't find specs on their site so I'll need to track down some things. Are you using the full size receiver or the mini one?
I'm pretty accustomed to having my current mic clipped to my left pocket so I don't think a belt pack would bother me in the least. Considering how frequently and quickly I switch horns, the transmitter on the mic might actually bother me!

I've looked at the Samson before, and I ruled it out because the transmitter got in my way.

Thanks for the recommendations!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AMT doesn't have a belt pack. It's just a wireless mic you clip on your bell that is also a transmitter. Then there's the receiver. You are completely free as a player.
I know, I was just commenting that in response to the other part of HeavyWeather77's post.

I am a bit concerned about one thing though: how does it clamp onto the horn, with a screw-down or a 'clothespin' spring clamp?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I know, I was just commenting that in response to the other part of HeavyWeather77's post.

I am a bit concerned about one thing though: how does it clamp onto the horn, with a screw-down or a 'clothespin' spring clamp?

I think one of the things that turned me off on the Samson was the durability of the spring clamp.... mine got knocked off one night walking a crowded floor. I got into a bit of a mob and it ended up under a table or in a corner or something like that. It’s all a bit hazy. I just remember having to hunt for it on the floor after the lights came up....:)

·
2,794 Posts
I used the AMT for several gigs but went back to my Shures. AMT has a real nice sound but I could not get the mic holder to keep the mic from moving left or right when a lot of horn movement/motion was used during the gig. I had to keep moving the mic back over the bell if any quick movements were made. There may be a way to secure the mic from moving but I could not figure out how. However if you do not do a lot of stage/horn movements then that will not be an issue. Or you might find a way to secure the mic.

I also went back the Shure because of the lightweight mic and it (to me) has an excellent response and tone. But (like anything) it depends on what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used the AMT for several gigs but went back to my Shures. AMT has a real nice sound but I could not get the mic holder to keep the mic from moving left or right when a lot of horn movement/motion was used during the gig. I had to keep moving the mic back over the bell if any quick movements were made. There may be a way to secure the mic from moving but I could not figure out how. However if you do not do a lot of stage/horn movements then that will not be an issue. Or you might find a way to secure the mic.

I also went back the Shure because of the lightweight mic and it (to me) has an excellent response and tone. But (like anything) it depends on what works best for you.
Lots of movement is the reason I want a clip-on! lol

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks for the help! I've pretty much settled on one of the Shure bundles, so unless something better hits the market before I have the money (which is entirely possible) that's what it's going to be.

·
2,794 Posts
Lots of movement is the reason I want a clip-on! lol

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks for the help! I've pretty much settled on one of the Shure bundles, so unless something better hits the market before I have the money (which is entirely possible) that's what it's going to be.
You are welcome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts