Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I hope I have placed this in the right forum, if not I apologize;

So my band had the great pleasure of opening up for the English Beat on Friday (great guys btw and a good sounding sax). Anyway I noticed the sax player had a real cool mic (I think it was wireless) that sounded great and seemed to have some dials/knobs to add some reverb/echo on it. Unfortunately I only talked with him before the show so I didn't see his mic and thus didn't ask him about it.

Can anyone recommend a good preferably wireless mic for a tenor sax that will let me adjust reverb/echo and won't break the bank? I could google search but I trust your guys' opinion. Now I'm sure there is some debate on wireless mics and adding echo, so to be more specific I will be using it live for dub ska and reggae. Thanks!!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I've never seen, nor would I want, a microphone that adds effects. I suspect that he had a rack that had his wireless receiver, and effects together.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I second.

What you probably saw was a unit, such as an Alesis Nanoverb, run in-line with the wireless reciever. I used to do that for solo shows when all I needed was reverb. They have an in/out that controls the "wetness" of the effect. The only real downside is that the sound engineer has no way to alter the effect based on room size and volume.

Here's my reccomendation for what you want while not killing your piggy bank:

Shure PGX14/Beta 98H Wireless System for Wind Instruments
-Comes with a PGX reciever w/ diversity channel scanning, and a clip-on 98 h/c mic with hip-pack.

Alesis NanoVerb 18-Bit Digital Effects Processor
-Only takes up 1/3 of a rack space in width and has enough standard effects to get you kickin' on stage.

Gator GR ATA Shallow Rack Case

Shallow rack shelf.

Velcro strips with adhesive backing.

XLR cables to suit.

The aforementioned should run you about $725 and you'll be up and running! Be sure to get comfortable with the functionality of the gear before you take it out, and check local restrictions on wireless usage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to add to this discussion. I am on the market for a wireless setup. After much research and trying to play inside a $500 budget, I ruled out Sennheiser (which I would LOVE to get a nice setup from) and ruled out Shure as the sound quality is not so great, and totally ruled out Samson as they are like K-mart level crap, and settled on a nice setup from Audio Technica.

Heres the Mic(ATM350cW):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350cW/

and heres the wifi transmitter and receiver (ATW2110):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATW2110/

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I'm glad you got what you like.

But, I assure you, the Samson Airline 77 is not on a 'crap level'. The HH40 transmitter uses the same mic capsule as the ATM350.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well the main issue with the samson is there is only one frequency, so if you get interference you are hosed. Some components might be ok, might even sound great! But samson has a general reputation as being the lowest level of quality in pro audio gear, samson and beringer so I wont touch it if I can avoid it. I dont expect to ever record with a clip on so I guess I shouldnt be too snotty on the sound quality, but I have always had good luck with AT mics. My cabinet has a few ATs for the low end along with some shures, and then sennheisers and AKGs for the good stuff. Maybe we will cross paths sometime and you can prove me wrong on the Samson, I love to be wrong! :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
.... ruled out Shure as the sound quality is not so great, and totally ruled out Samson as they are like K-mart level crap...]
Unfortunately, when budget is a factor, many people do not do ample research- by that I mean test it in real, live, demanding environments to see how the gear will respond.

As with everything on this forum, this thread is opinion based. However, I can say this- one of the best live horn sounds I've EVER heard on a hot stage was on a Shure wireless rig with a AT Pro 35X mic (which is not much different than a 98h/c), but the Shure system did great. Both myself and the sax player in the band co-headlining with us shared that same rig.

Now, when I play with the full band, myself and the rest of the horns use the following, and it is G.R.E.A.T!!!:
Applied Microphone Technology Wi-5 Instrument Wireless System
http://www.wwbw.com/Applied-Microph...strument-Wireless-System-271215-i1392422.wwbw

Look familiar??? That's because it is simply a modified Samson system. I've used the above 150+ times a year all over the US, in 4 countries, and I have only once had interferrence issues (...with a military base!).

As you said, no one is going to record in the studio with a clip on mic, so it's not even worth mentioning. But as it pretains to quality sound in a live application, I stand by the 2 aforementioned systems.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
The DPA 4099s is probably the best sounding mic element for saxes.

Right CMR, the AMT is a fine system. Most folks really like the idea that there is no beltpack, and the samson and AMT systems are the only ones that I know of that have that feature.

Frequency agility is something that you're going to pay for. If I get interference (rarely happens), I just go to a wired clipon.

Sound guys love clipons, because they get a consistent sound/distance without having to compress the sax, or compress the reverb send. There's more to running sound than loud/soft, upfader/downfader.:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hakukani,
I just checked out the DPA4099- very cool for a wired unit. I especially like the XLR adapter feature. Looks much more efficient than the old duct tape method!
If I didn't have to move so far all the time on-stage, it'd be a cool option. Alas, I'd get tangled in the crowd with one of those! Lol! I can see the headline now:
"Saxophonist strangles newlywed couple with microphone cable... Our sources say they had it comming"!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just to add to this discussion. I am on the market for a wireless setup. After much research and trying to play inside a $500 budget, I ruled out Sennheiser (which I would LOVE to get a nice setup from) and ruled out Shure as the sound quality is not so great, and totally ruled out Samson as they are like K-mart level crap, and settled on a nice setup from Audio Technica.

Heres the Mic(ATM350cW):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350cW/

and heres the wifi transmitter and receiver (ATW2110):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATW2110/
you bought the same microphone that is supplied with the samson, and you have to bother with wearing a beltpack and cable instead of samson's microphone-mounted transmitter. i am baffled that more companies are not using this technology. i'm also surprised that samson does not use a dynamic frequency system

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Hakukani,
I just checked out the DPA4099- very cool for a wired unit. I especially like the XLR adapter feature. Looks much more efficient than the old duct tape method!
If I didn't have to move so far all the time on-stage, it'd be a cool option. Alas, I'd get tangled in the crowd with one of those! Lol! I can see the headline now:
"Saxophonist strangles newlywed couple with microphone cable... Our sources say they had it comming"!
I know I'm late with this, but the DPA will work with most wireless systems.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
I know I'm late with this, but the DPA will work with most wireless systems.
From in store tests we'd reckons it works best with the AKG wireless rig.....

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I have the Samson Airline 77 and I use NiMH AAA batteries in the transmitter. One gripe is the battery is hit or miss. Sometimes a fully charged battery installed will not make the light even come on. During a gig one time the battery just crapped out and I had to switch to my wired clip on AT 350 mic. The other problem is the battery door on the transmitter is fragile and I am just waiting for the day it breaks. Still not sure what the clear transmitter shaped shell is supposed to be for. Has anyone had battery issues with the transmitter on these? Maybe I have a dud unit?

Also wanting a guitar transmitter for this unit will cost almost as much if not more than just buying the Airline 77 for guitar combo unit (transmitter and receiver) Any idea why this is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually have 2 of the wireless mic's people have recommended here and use both regularly. I originally bought an Audio Technica (mentioned in theAlps post). I've had it for about 10 years now and it's served me very well. Definitely a great wireless mic when budget is concerned. And, you can change frequencies.

I also own an AMT Wi5-Pro (they've just released a new version of this you can check out: http://www.appliedmicrophone.com/wireless/). Expensive, but very reliable, good sound reproduction, and it doesn't seem to scare any sound guys that I work with on gigs because more and more people seem to have them. HOWEVER, my only complaint with AMT is that I have really not had the best customer service. They seem to nickle-and-dime certain things now - soft case standard, a hard case is extra; they've changed their clip/clamp system, supposedly for the better, but it's made it more difficult for people to use their sax mic on their doubles (rather than buying a clarinet and/or flute specific mic); little things like that. Another issue is the person that I dealt with actually lied to me over the phone about some details concerning the somewhat recent FCC frequency change and how to exchange my transmitter/receiver. So, only a couple of hiccups, and hopefully they'll be the last, but food for thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts