Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amanda had a performance last night where she was going to use a wireless mic and receiver.
The receiver is an AKG SR40 mini pro wireless.
Off the top of my I cannot remember the frequency (Amanda still has it), but during sound check they found that the receiver was picking up interference.
When I asked for recommendations the sound tech recommended a Sennheiser.
Anyone have experiences with the EW 100 G2 or 135 G3 True Diversity Receivers??

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That seems to be a UHF receiver. I don't see any reason why a Sennheiser system is going to be better than the AKG. The AKG only has 3 channels from what I can gather. So, if you find interference, you can't really do much about it. A better system would give you a bunch of channels in that frequency so you could maybe find something that works.

Wireless stuff is a whole other can of worms. A lot of the cheap solutions work most of the time, but then you get in a place where all of a sudden you get something else operating in that spectrum, and you get noise. I'd check out the Shure BLX stuff. You can get a whole system for a lot less than that Sennheiser EW stuff and a better microphone to boot. I'm currently using a loner BLX system with a Beta 98 mic and it's working awesome.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Frequencies are the important point since the FCC sold off (and is selling more off) making the band available for wireless mics etc even more narrow. the 700 band is gone, and another is about to be auctioned off (can't remember if its 6 or 800 at the moment). Sometimes it's just something in the venue that can interfere as well.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frequencies are the important point since the FCC sold off (and is selling more off) making the band available for wireless mics etc even more narrow. the 700 band is gone, and another is about to be auctioned off (can't remember if its 6 or 800 at the moment). Sometimes it's just something in the venue that can interfere as well.
From CNET: "For this auction, there are three bands of spectrum available: the 1,695MHz to 1,710MHz band, the 1,755MHz to 1,780MHz band and the 2,155MHz to 2,180MHz band. All three blocks are considered "high band," or at a frequency above 1,000MHz."

Hopefully it is not the 600 or 800Mhz bandwidths, that would mean that 'technically' a lot more wireless transmitters & receivers become 'illegal'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,398 Posts
Nobody using a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 or 135 G3 True Diversity Receivers??
Yup! I have 3 of the G2 systems. They were the best sounding units in my personal shootout I did when I got them. Reception aside, I hated the AKG. Waaaaaaay to bright and brittle. I also didn't like the Sennheiser mic that comes with the systems. Too thin and bright. Get the G2 and a DPA 4099. Not a cheap rig, but by far the closest to a wired mic I've used. Oh, and never a reception issue since I got the system back in '08.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup! I have 3 of the G2 systems. They were the best sounding units in my personal shootout I did when I got them. Reception aside, I hated the AKG. Waaaaaaay to bright and brittle. I also didn't like the Sennheiser mic that comes with the systems. Too thin and bright. Get the G2 and a DPA 4099. Not a cheap rig, but by far the closest to a wired mic I've used. Oh, and never a reception issue since I got the system back in '08.
Thanks for the recommendation, on the hunt.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts