Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. Just a bit of support I need here regarding purchasing of a new wireless mic,

I am planning to buy the Samson AirLine 77 Wind Instrument Wireless Microphone but the shop offers it in four versions: ,
1-Channel 1 (863.12 MHz):
2-Channel 2 (863.62 MHz):
3-Channel 3 (864.50 MHz):
4-Channel 4 (864.87 MHz):

Which version do you think is right for me?
Given that Channels below 861MHz are illegal, do you think the Channel-4 version will be a better choice?

Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Need more information. Where are you located (a specific zip code would be good)?

The usability of specific frequencies depends on what is currently transmuting in your area. And btw, in the United States, it's anything between 698MHz and 806MHz that is illegal. Anything above 806MHz is legal and should be fine as long as there's nothing too close to interfere with it.

But I always tell people to buy a frequency agile system, where you can change the frequencies if you go to a different location and find something that is interfering with your normally clear frequency. Of course those kinds of systems are more expensive than your bargain basement $100 wireless transmitter and receiver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JC. I am based in the European region. UK and European rules are similar. In the UK I think the illigal limit raises up to 861 MHZ. I am not sure if the particular sistem can be tweakable for different frequencies.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ahh, well, unfortunately, I can't help you with Europium RF coordination. You'll have to check with your national radio spectrum agency to find out what's available and what's legal.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It really shouldn't matter. All of those frequencies are above the 861mhz, so no legal troubles there and trying to get further away from 861mhz really won't make a difference. Having multiple frequencies is good when you're on stage with several people using wireless tech. If there's interference between 2 wireless mics, you can switch to a different frequency.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you David. Of course these systems can't switch frequencies on the fly so you will need to purchase a system that is on a different channel

thanks again

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh sorry. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. I even have a similar system that doesn't have multiple frequencies. I've been on stage many times with multiple wireless mics and never a problem. Only once did I run into someone with the same brand who also happened to have the same frequency. I had to uses wired mic for that gig.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi David. You probably right. Every brand has its unique frequencies so it is unlikely to run into problems.

Once again, thanks for sharing your ideas. I don't think it worth it, having an event with a wired mic without the freedom to turn rounds !!

Take care !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
The trick is to make sure sure no one else in the band is using the same frequency. As others have pointed out - a changeable system is ideal but not necessary. A wired back-up is always good to have in your kit - especially if you're a hired gun type player.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts