Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Audio Technica ATM-350 last year and I was confused initially when looking for clip-ons that the ATM-350cW (wireless model) was quite a bit cheaper. I found out the 350cW wouldn't work as sold as a wired mic, and as a wireless mic you still need to buy the wireless body pack and the receiver.

I am assuming the 350cW wouldn;t work as a wired mic ONLY because it doesn't include the mini XLR to XLR adapter which then can be run through a preamp as my regular ATM-350 works.

Now I was reading last year, before I bought my ATM-350, that it could be used with the Audio Technica wireless Unipaks (should take the mini XLR cable as that is their proprietary size jack for clip-ons and wireless mics) and a AT receiver of some sort. Is this correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as my knowledge goes the ATM-350 is sold in two versions

ATM-350cW to connect to AT wireless equipment. This one should utilize a Hirose connector.
(Picture of connector: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/87350-a096ff7a280f258e5d6156a4a2c70f41.jpg)

ATM-350 to connect to P-48 (phantom power) mixer input. This one uses a TA3F (mini XLR female 3-pin) which connect the mic to the AT8542 phantom power adapter.
(Picture of connector: http://www.musik-produktiv.de/pic-0...-steckverbinder-mini-xlr-switchcraft-ta3f.jpg)

If you have the ATM-350cW version your goal can be achieved with Audio-Technica equipment.
For wired connection while your mix desk is providing 48V phantom power you can use Audio-Technica AT8539
(http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/e313843c3239e61c/at8539_submit.pdf)

For wireless you can use AT wireless equipment.

Hope that my assumptions are right.

With modifications to the connector several other options are available.

hope this helps

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank thanks for posting that but it doesn't really answer how I can make my ATM-350 into a wireless model. Also the AT8542 Power Module looks completely different than the one you show. So am I basically screwed now and stuck using the ATM-350 for wired only? Reading through my ATM-350 manual there is no description of the phantom power on off switch as I remember when I first got it the switch was pointing to the waverly line and now it works on phantom power with the straight line. Not sure what the symbols are supposed to represent and odd it mentions none of this is the manual. A +48 v next to the phantom power would have been fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry that I add confusion.

the AT8542 is the phantom power adapter for the version with TA3F.

The AT8539 is the phantom power adapter for the version with Hirose connector.

Bevor we come to the wireless may I ask you which connector you have on the mic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok. Sorry for asking but I just did not get it from the opening post.

In this case your wired adapter is AT8542 which you maybe have.

For wireless:
As far as I know there is no wireless equipment from Audio Technica that utilizes this connector.

One thing that can work is the wireless equipment from AKG. It seems that it uses the same pinout, same potential and the same connector. But this is without guaranty because the AT pinout I found is not verified.

Apart from that the only option is building an adapter to the wireless equipment of choice. (The good message here is that you can use whatever you like. The adapter between ATM350 and wireless belt pack needs to be build anyway)

Sorry for only giving you options that either include a soldering iron or trial and error.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks Mitch, care to elaborate on what modifications need to be made to work with a Shure wireless system?

·
Registered
320 Posts
As you already know you would have to buy a wireless system and change the connector to match. Also the ATM350 has about 13 feet of cable that cannot be disconnected from the mic. That's a lot of wire when you're trying to go wireless. Of course you can cut it short but that limits it when used wired. Another thing about phantom power is when it is supplied by the mixer it bypasses the battery and cannot be turned off at the power module. The straight line indicates a flat response and the curved one is the roll off.

The ATM350 is a great sounding wired setup so I'd suggest keeping it as is and just buy another complete wireless system that includes the mic. I'm using an ATM350cW with the connector changed to match a Shure ULX wireless system. For wired I have an ATM35 (older version).

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh crap I was afraid this was going to happen when I bought this. So I would have been better off originally buying the ATM-350cW which can be modded to work wired...

Did you just buy the adapter connector to work with a Shure?

Why the heck are they charging $80/$90/$100 for a small metal adapter that should be a part you'd buy from Radio Shack for $3-$4?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
AMT, when I am wireless the band I play with uses backline companies and the rider says to furnish the band with Shure wireless equipment. I use a Shure transmitter belt pack. For other gigs I have a Shure belt pack from my beta 98 clip on mic that connects to a mic chord. AMT also has their own wired belt pack which I may buy eventually. So I only bought the mic's from AMT (tenor and soprano) since my main wireless gig furnishes the packs, etc.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have one of the AT8542 belt packs (which uses a 9V battery) for the old ATM35 mics, which is currently idle since the ATM35 mic itself got broken due to my not being careful with it (no complaints here - it lasted 20 years). If someone thinks it might help them, send me a PM and we can try to figure out a fair value for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh crap I was afraid this was going to happen when I bought this. So I would have been better off originally buying the ATM-350cW which can be modded to work wired...

Did you just buy the adapter connector to work with a Shure?

Why the heck are they charging $80/$90/$100 for a small metal adapter that should be a part you'd buy from Radio Shack for $3-$4?
The ATM-350cW and the ATM-350 are the same. Only the connector is different. Even your ATM-350 can be used with wireless equipment. But some work needs to be done.

You need an adapter (Or change the connector on the mic). I don't think you will find such an adapter ready to buy.

So, here is the wiring for an adapter to a SHURE belt pack:
Parts needed:
TA3M connector
TA4F connector
shielded 2-wire cable (as long as needed)

Pin on TA3M - pin on TA4F
1 - 1 (shield)
2 - 3 + 4
3 - 2

If you prefer an other wireless pack it can also be adapted.

The parts will cost around 20US$. I would build it for you but the shipping from germany will almost double the cost.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Once you change the connector you won't be able to use the mic wired anymore so I'd take that into consideration before making the change.

Anyway I used a connector that I cut off from a lapel mic that came with my Shure system. Here's instructions from the Shure website on how to do that. The ATM35 & ATM350 have the same wiring.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/322/kw/atm/related/1

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah not sure I'd want one or the other (wired/wireless). So what options are there for buying a new wireless mic that can also be used as a wired mic? I really didn't think this was going to be hard to find as I figured it would be like a cordless razor which can also be used with the cord. They don't have mics with this same concept? I find that hard to believe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts