Sax on the Web Forum banner

Winston soprano design question

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave Dolson 
#1 ·
I have a Winston 350 GL soprano with the detachable necks and I wanted to know if anyone knew from which horn the Winston was modeled? I had an older one piece Antigua Winds that felt stuffy to me and the Winston is much more free blowing for me. It actually sounds pretty decent and has good intonation, but struggles with the lower register. However, I am wanting to step up and get a getter horn but I am on a budget. I am looking at the newer Antiguas, Kessler or CE Winds. I tried a Jean Baptiste at a Sam Ash and it seemed to play very well espectially in the lower registers, where my Winston struggles a little. I read the Antiguas are based on the Yani design, the Kessler is based on a Selmer SA80, and I am not sure about the CE Winds. If anyone could guide me as to which horns would have a similar free blowing characteristic of the Winston I would appreciate it. Thanks

#3 ·
true, the chance that any saxophone can show these symptoms due to bad or improper regulation is very high, only after making sure that that is not the case (check at least with a leak light) one could reasonably start pointing fingers at design faults. The thing is that the words cheap and soprano don't go together and although one can find an inexpensive soprano off the shelf, the chance that this needs more and better regulation by a tech is very much there. I have a cheap(ish) Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano. I bought it , knowing that I could have found other similar curvies, because it would be checked and set up before selling.

#5 ·
I have tried various reed combos with a Selmer C*, Vandoren V5 and a Dukoff. The lower register on the Winston just doesn't speak as easy as the rest of the horn. The tech I use is pretty much one of the tops in this area so competence I think is ok. Still I certainly cannot rule out a horn issue with the Winston, as it has been overvalue year since it's last visit for a good tune up. So that may be something to factor in as well.

It still leaves me with the question which horn the Winston is modeled after? Unfortunately even here in the Houston area there are not many shops that stock sopranos so ordering something I will most likely have to do. Thanks

#6 ·
If your Winston has all of its part in place, I doubt that a replacement part will be necessary. The problem you describe tells me that the mechanisms aren't doing what they are supposed to do. All of those interconnecting mechanisms (the change from upper to lower octave vents, the automatic closing of G# when you play the lower notes, the L1/R1 or R2 cross-fingered Bb, etc.) are probably not completely working. I've seen some really good techs miss those things. May be their fault, but everyone makes mistakes.

I suggest you sit down with your horn and look closely at each function to determine if all is working correctly. I doubt if you will ever find an answer to your basic question - which horn served as a model for the inexpensive Winston. Even if someone answered it, I'd view it as conjecture unless the owner of the Winston distributorship himself answered. Who knows those things? Only the folks that bought the horns from that Chinese or Taiwanese factory years ago.

As far as upgrading to an Antigua or Kessler, that sounds like a good idea to me. DAVE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.