Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to hear from the people who use these and prefer them to other ligatures. I see a lot of people need replacement parts. Why is that? Is this because people lose the parts or these are high maintenance ligatures?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Well, I've had a WInslow for about 15 years now. There are some small parts including rubber bumpers that will wear out at times. Also, the posts and clips can rust if your not careful like me and used to soak your mouthpieces in glasses of water in between sets, etc...

Incidently, the SAXXAS ligature spares will fit Winslows. THe plates won't fit but it's easy enough to fashion a replacement.

I think it's the best lig for me. (Not everyone, just me).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swampcabbage said:
Well, I've had a WInslow for about 15 years now. There are some small parts including rubber bumpers that will wear out at times. Also, the posts and clips can rust if your not careful like me and used to soak your mouthpieces in glasses of water in between sets, etc...

Incidently, the SAXXAS ligature spares will fit Winslows. THe plates won't fit but it's easy enough to fashion a replacement.

I think it's the best lig for me. (Not everyone, just me).
Why and what do you notice differently than other ligatures (what all have you tried) if you don't mind me asking. I know it may not make a huge difference, but sometimes the minute things matter to people. Just wanted to clear that up for the people who always have something smart to say about people who pay large amounts of money for accessories.
Thanks... How's that Hollywood I sold you been working out BTW?

·
3,295 Posts
The Hollywood is pretty nice. I like to use it on some of the heavy rock and bluies types gigs I do. I've been playing a lot on my Florida Link though. At least since I got my SAXXAS and the Winslow working again.

Incidently, I didn't know they had replacement parts of the Winslow's still available until a few months ago (thanks to this forum). I ordered two replacement kits from Mr. Winslow over 3 months agao and still have yet to see them. In the mean time I got my SAXXAS lig and replacement parts that fit my Winslow and even though it's a heavy price I am happy with how it's working and I can't really put a price on that.

The thing I notice most is that more reeds work and for longer periods. It has four (or more) independant points that form to the reed. I've tried the Francois Louis, Vandoren Opitmum, Selmer 404, Rovner, rings, broco-lig :), standard ligs, everything I can get my hands on. I feel the response is quicker and more comfortable. Easier response in the altissimo, flexibility in sound, multiphonics. Just up and down the line. But, the best is that I notice it helps all my mouthpieces. Flat tables, warped tables, uneven tables (where the reed edges hang over the side like the Barone). It doesn't matter, it works everytime and withoutpinching the edges.

What I don't like about other ligs (keep in mind too, I like to tighten down the lig as much as possible too).

FL - Plates flatten and and you end up with a screw head going through the middle of the reed, also, hard to re-adjust and center at times. Slips too much when tuning.

Vandoren Optimum - Only fits certain mouthpieces. Plate is fixed and too flat which interferes with the sealing of off centered reed cuts.

Slemer 404. Bands pinch and crush the edges. This makes it tough to re-center and adjust reeds. I find reeds don't last as long.

Rovners - Just too constricting in sound. Never liked them.

Rings. I like these a lot (like the Lebayle rings) but they slip too much when tuning, for me and they can be tough to set/re-set.

Standard two screw ligs. Tough to find odd sizes that will fit and also see Selmer 404 comments.

The link (I have the original Florida lig) BG's, and Branchers just don't have the respnse I'm looking for.

The Winslow and SAXXAS are a great catch-all for me. But that is just my opinion and I know there are a million people to disagree with me out there. And they each have a great reason.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swampcabbage said:
The Hollywood is pretty nice. I like to use it on some of the heavy rock and bluies types gigs I do. I've been playing a lot on my Florida Link though. At least since I got my SAXXAS and the Winslow working again.

Incidently, I didn't know they had replacement parts of the Winslow's still available until a few months ago (thanks to this forum). I ordered two replacement kits from Mr. Winslow over 3 months agao and still have yet to see them. In the mean time I got my SAXXAS lig and replacement parts that fit my Winslow and even though it's a heavy price I am happy with how it's working and I can't really put a price on that.

The thing I notice most is that more reeds work and for longer periods. It has four (or more) independant points that form to the reed. I've tried the Francois Louis, Vandoren Opitmum, Selmer 404, Rovner, rings, broco-lig :), standard ligs, everything I can get my hands on. I feel the response is quicker and more comfortable. Easier response in the altissimo, flexibility in sound, multiphonics. Just up and down the line. But, the best is that I notice it helps all my mouthpieces. Flat tables, warped tables, uneven tables (where the reed edges hang over the side like the Barone). It doesn't matter, it works everytime and withoutpinching the edges.

What I don't like about other ligs (keep in mind too, I like to tighten down the lig as much as possible too).

FL - Plates flatten and and you end up with a screw head going through the middle of the reed, also, hard to re-adjust and center at times. Slips too much when tuning.

Vandoren Optimum - Only fits certain mouthpieces. Plate is fixed and too flat which interferes with the sealing of off centered reed cuts.

Slemer 404. Bands pinch and crush the edges. This makes it tough to re-center and adjust reeds. I find reeds don't last as long.

Rovners - Just too constricting in sound. Never liked them.

Rings. I like these a lot (like the Lebayle rings) but they slip too much when tuning, for me and they can be tough to set/re-set.

Standard two screw ligs. Tough to find odd sizes that will fit and also see Selmer 404 comments.

The link (I have the original Florida lig) BG's, and Branchers just don't have the respnse I'm looking for.

The Winslow and SAXXAS are a great catch-all for me. But that is just my opinion and I know there are a million people to disagree with me out there. And they each have a great reason.
Thanks a lot, very informative. Can't wait to try it out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
If these ligatures ever get back into production so that one can get them easily, I will be the first in line to buy another Winslow for my bari and two for my clarinet.

I find these ligs have an ease and quick response that other ligs just cannot muster. My reeds last much longer. The sound is extrememly consistent. There is no dampening of the sound. I can control my sound easier with the Winslow. I can get a good Cello sound to a full speed locomotive sound with this lig.

They are great ligs. I just have not had any luck in getting a hold of any one with them. It is a shame. They are great.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got mine in... This lig is very well made and definitely a big difference from my Rovner Dark, I was using on my Barone Hollywood. I can't figure how to take the pins out and what this little plastic tool is for.

Maybe you can help me out SC.
Too bad, it doesn't work with my Sugal as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
JB - you use the plastic tool to carefully push/slide the flat 'clips' off the metal stems/pins - be gentle as they fly out & you can loose them. The ligature has to be on the mouthpiece(+reed) and tightened (rubber cushions compressed) to slide the clips off...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
And wear glases to protect you eyes. I once had a patient who hurt his eye trying to change his clip and it snaped to his eye.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
82ZUcustom said:
Hey you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable about these Winslow type ligatures, I'm just hearing about them for the first time and I'm a little confused about the Winslow and SAXXAS ligatures. From what I understand Winslow's either aren't made anymore or are just realy hard to get, and the SAXXAS ligatures are modern and very similar to them,correct. If I'm wrong could someone shed a little light. Thanks
I spoke to John Winslow this morning. They are way behind in production, with a wait of some unspecified number of months. They apparently are having difficulty getting one of their components from a supplier.
JR

·
3,295 Posts
I wouldn't dare to guess on the wait. I've been waiting almost five months for just the spare parts kits. It's really too bad that he can't fill the orders, I would've been happy to buy my ligs from him.

Anyway, there are slight differences in the Winslows and SAXXAS ligs. Spacing on the points are slightly different and the contact points on the body or plastic on the SAXXAS where they are metal on the Winslow. Subtle differences.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Tried them and they don't work for me. I think the little rubber cushions mute the reed and I don't want that. I'm a Selmer 402/404 guy, (depending on the piece).....thought I'd add that to the thread to be "fair and balanced".......;) .......daryl

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
283 Posts
A Winslow soprano ligature sold for $415.00! I think I have a tenor one somewhere that I need to sell; I hope I didn't sell it already.
I recently bought a F.L. Ultimate ligature for my soprano for about $50 (silver model) and I like it more than I ever did my Winslow. The Winslow ligatures slip and move around too much. I've heard the SAXXAS is made better, but the soprano model won't be available for a couple months.
Anyway, sell your Winslow, if you're not using it because they are worth a small fortune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts