Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Winslow Ligatures aren't being made anymore. Does anyone know why? If People claim the concept is ingenious, then why hasn't anyone else picked up on the idea? I'd be interested in buying one if they weren't so darn expensive! :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,402 Posts
Shaun: In my opinion, the Winslows are/were just another gimmick. I know some folks love theirs, but I gave away the ones I owned (sop, alto, and clarinet). I've posted this before, but the ligs were almost impossible to keep on the reed/mouthpiece if one had to move the mouthpiece on the cork for tuning; the little rubber cushions turned to a gummy substance on all of mine - even the ones sent along for replacement purposes; and my old-tyme Selmer metal ligs sounded better when I played them. And yes, the Winslows were expensive. DAVE

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check out this Winslow Ligature that on E-Bay:
Item number: 7322153892
Isn't that rediculous?

SJT

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,402 Posts
Yes, ridiculous. Plus, if that lig is so great, why is he parting with it? His explanation made no sense to me. I gave mine to an Aussie gal in SoCal. She later graciously gifted me four bottles of great Australian wine. I got the better of the deal. DAVE

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shaun Thompson said:
I have heard that Winslow Ligatures aren't being made anymore. Does anyone know why? If People claim the concept is ingenious, then why hasn't anyone else picked up on the idea? I'd be interested in buying one if they weren't so darn expensive! :(

"they aren't being made any more"................ :cool: i think the competition in the market is huge today, lots of people want to have somthing new and different look :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Works for some not for others.
If you use the black rubber cushions you don't get the gummy thing which happens with the red and grey rubber. The tension is very uniform and cushions rarely need replacing.
There are pins which have a cross hatched end to them, not only do they prevent the reed from slipping they cause slight indents in the reed which allows you to place it in the same place every time you use it.

I use a silver one on my MeYer alto piece and it gives a huskier tone then a FL or a inverted Bonade. I don't think the removable plate makes much of a difference as it is fused in place on the black models.
I use one on a 130 Berg Bari piece as well.
I don't use them on all my pieces ... I use a FL on my RPC Bari piece, a Standard Selmer lig on my Giggliotti Bb clarinet piece, a Bonade on Bass clarinet ... though I just bought one off ebay and am interested in what it will sound like, only paid $35.00 so what the hey. I have one for tenor but have moved to a brighter tone with a FL.

It does effect the your tone just needs to be the sound you want.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i had one years ago - it rusted (those little metal parts that hold the reed) in a few months. I know a guy who loves his though. It fitted my mouthpiece nice, i never had any trouble with it holding the reeds.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Owner John Winslow passed away a year or two ago. No one else has picked up the business. They have a patent so you probably wont find close clones of the idea.

I own several of these and have not had any cushion problems. I have some with red, gray and black cushions. As mentioned, the fit on tapered mouthpieces can be annoying. Adding a thin clear mouthpiece patch to the top of the MP can help with the grip.

You need to spend a block of time trying out the various cushion arrangements. A couple will be bad, most will be so-so, and a couple will be really great.

To me, an optimized Winslow is a "10". But on several mouthpieces I'm quite content on using a "9.5" ligature that is less fuss to put on/off. These include Rovner Lights and Mark IIIs for me.

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
The winslow is a wonderful ligature, I don't think I'll ever part with mine, but then again, if someone offered me 150 bucks...that would be pretty hard to ignore. They are great, but I don't know of any ligature I'd pay that much for...I have a hard time dishing out 3 figures for a mouthpiece! (thought I've done it more often than I'd like to admit)

·
Registered
76 Posts
John Winslow deceased ???

MojoBari said:
Owner John Winslow passed away a year or two ago. No one else has picked up the business. QUOTE]....??

Thats strange - I spoke to someone (John Winslow ?) a few months ago to get a Winslow for my Tenney NY link... even made out the payment for a Mr. "John Winslow"...???

The ligature arrived here in NZ, 3 weeks after the date it was ordered. Also I know of someone just recently (2 weeks ago?) placed an order for a Tenor link. He was told 2 weeks (3 perhaps by the time is is delivered).

Cheers from NZ :)

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
To paraphrase Mark Twain, "The news of John Winslow's demise is greatly exaggerated." I spoke with him this morning. Madison Enterprises in Madison, WI. $78 includes ligature, spare parts kit, and shipping. Some models are in stock, some will be a several month wait. I've played them on my alto for nearly twenty years, and think they are well worth the extra expense. Great altissimo response, plus the cushions ingeniously compensate for variations in thickness of the reed, where a standard lig would apply excessive pressure at the high points. At least that's my theory...in any case, it's a great product. His operation is decidedly low-tech (ironic for a such a techy product)--no credit cards, and no email as far as I can tell. He'll call or send a letter when your lig is in stock!
JR

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
I've been looking into these ligs for quite some time, can any of you provide his phone number (you can PM or email me if you don't want to post it publicly). Thanks.

Chris S

·
Registered
435 Posts
According to the instructions included with The Winslow Ligature:

Madison Enterprises
P.O. Box 8434
Madison, WI 53708-8434
(608) 241-1124

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
MojoBari said:
Winslows have been dropped from several catalogs that used to carry them. Winslows for HR altos are going for $150+ on eBay.
Lucky for us, they only cost half that new! (the real question, then, is how long can you afford to wait?)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used a Winslow for about 6 years (Alto, Meyer 6M for jazz, S-80 C* or Meyer 5M for Classical), then bought an Olegature out of curiosity and because I noticed a lot of players I respected using them. At first I didn't notice any substantial difference, but kept using the Olegature because, well, I payed for it :cool: . Then a screw broke, and I couldn't find a compatible replacement for a while, so I went back to using the Winslow.

This time, I really noticed a difference - my sound was somehow buzzier, with more harsh (to my ear) overtones, plus I noticed that I got an uncomfortable amount of resonance in my teeth when I was playing forte or louder which, upon reflection, I realized had always been there before when I was using the Winslow. When I got the right screw for the Olegature, I switched back immediately, and have never been tempted to try anything else (it's been 5+ years now).

I don't mean this to be an Olegature sales pitch or a slam on Winslow, but this has been my experience. I would suggest trying an Olegature, if you haven't already.

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
I tried an Olegature a few days ago, and during my brief trial - I wasn't that impressed. I'm going to try it again on Monday though, to see if I notice anything. I know a lot of people that use them.

That being said, does anyone here have a Winslow that they no longer want? I'm using a Rousseau NC5 for my classical playing (that's what I'd be using it for), so it'd have to be a large one. I'm going to call john Winslow today and see how long the wait is.

Peace,
Chris S

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
Chris, Let me know when you find out about that wait....I've been contemplating one for my alto for quite a while, and just never seem to think about calling. Since you already are....I'll just continue to be lazy and hope you'll share. :cool:

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
Just got off the phone with John, and because the mouthpiece that I'll be using it for is slightly bigger than most (Rousseau NC5) he said that he'd have to look and see if he had the parts. So.... no relevant news. I'll keep you posted.

Chris S

1 - 20 of 22 Posts