Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hope all is well. Just starting this thread because maybe some if you have noticed the weird absurd price raise on the winslow ligatures online. I have a few of these ligatures and did not pay what many people sell them for now online. Well, just want to know what you all think about it. Because I have a few students who actually paid almost $300 for one of these ligatures because it's supposedly vintage. To all their own I know, but let me know what you think. Thanks and take care.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
I once owned a full set of those contraptions (sop - metal and HR, alto, clarinet) and gave them away to someone who wanted them. Glad they are gone. I wouldn't pay you $.05 for one. DAVE

·
5,092 Posts
How much is Winslow charging for them? I always thought if you didn't want to deal with him, you'd buy an overpriced Saxxas. That's what I did. I don't understand the point of a "vintage" model when it's the same as the current model that's still in production, or the Saxxas facsimile that is basically the same from a slightly more accessible and reliable source.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's very true the ligatures I have on tenor and alto were purchased via Mr. Winslow himself in like 99-'00. But, nowadays most students think spending money on this or that will make them instant musicians without the hard work. I explain this to most of my students weekly and I'm sure we've all gone through this phase. But, sooner or later those who really work at it will get it. I've seen the original silver vintage winslow ligs at around $250 and up. I have one for hr tenor that I got from a great sax player in '99, he gave me a few lessons and I went crazy when he played through the changes on giant steps on a hr slant link. He told me he sounded almost the same on anything so he just gave it to me. And he did play and sound similar on all his equipment. The other ligs I have were sent to me from Mr. Winslow directly. Well, take care guys.

·
14,305 Posts
"Vintage" is relative, I suppose. I bought mine directly from Winslow (maybe 1987?). They were relatively new on the market then. I sure don't view that as "vintage", but if you weren't even born then, well . . . DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
He's still making them. You can find his contact info on this forum, and get a new one with extra parts for $100 or so. No clue why folks would pay a premium. Nonsense....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Mr. Winslow stills sells them and his info is around the forum. I just saw a brilhart ligature on *bay for more than $600. Incredible gotta look through my old boxes I may have something worth selling.
Take care guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts