Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have few question about this ligature
1. I had tried few of the Winslow ligature around year of 2004 and recently tried to search any information about this legendary ligature and wondering if any one knows the Winslow ligature stop produce or not?
2. I found out one website(http://www.saxxas.eu/) The ligature is pretty much like Winslow ligature. It seems the ligature is very good copy of the Winslow ligaure, have any one knows the review of it?

Pete

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pete - John Winslow is still around. I just bought one of his ligatures, with a BT Spare Kit and spoke to him at length personally. He is an incredible gentleman to deal with, old school, so you will not see him on email, facebook, or any other social media. He is a telephone, letter and check kind of guy. But call him, and tell him what you want and you will get it.

Madison Enterprises
P.O. Box 8434
Madison, WI 53708-8434
(608) 241-1124

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have both. The Winslow is a more secure fit. The Saxxas tends to slip more. Both don't fit a lot of mouthpieces but they both work great when properly fitted.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
The only knock I have on the Winslow is that it will scratch your mpc. Otherwise they do play great, I have 2 that fit my metal Guardalas. I got the Tenor lig yrs ago with a mpc I bought. I sold the mpc but kept the Lig. The tenor Winslow lig is bright stainless steel.

The Alto lig I recently bought new from John W has the coated black finish, and came with a full set of replacement parts. I'm not using either Lig as my Alto mpc is a beautiful mint condition Gold plated specimen and I can't bring myself to mar the finish.

My Lazer trimmed DG tenor mpc is the silverplate model and I did use the Winslow on it for awhile, but it did leave scratches. I've polished the scratches off the tenor mpc and I've since gone back to a regular 2 screw metal lig that leaves no marks.

I'm using the supplied Rovner type lig on my PMS King alto mpc, it also leaves no marks and seems to play just fine.

Bottom line..the difference in playability and sound was not so significant anyway. And actually the Winslows are sometimes a little tough to adjust or change the reed quickly in the real world gig setting.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,629 Posts
The only knock I have on the Winslow is that it will scratch your mpc. Otherwise they do play great, I have 2 that fit my metal Guardalas. I got the Tenor lig yrs ago with a mpc I bought. I sold the mpc but kept the Lig. The tenor Winslow lig is bright stainless steel.

The Alto lig I recently bought new from John W has the coated black finish, and came with a full set of replacement parts. I'm not using either Lig as my Alto mpc is a beautiful mint condition Gold plated specimen and I can't bring myself to mar the finish.

My Lazer trimmed DG tenor mpc is the silverplate model and I did use the Winslow on it for awhile, but it did leave scratches. I've polished the scratches off the tenor mpc and I've since gone back to a regular 2 screw metal lig that leaves no marks.

I'm using the supplied Rovner type lig on my PMS King alto mpc, it also leaves no marks and seems to play just fine.

Bottom line..the difference in playability and sound was not so significant anyway. And actually the Winslows are sometimes a little tough to adjust or change the reed quickly in the real world gig setting.
Cash, how do they scratch your MPC? I have one for all of my horns and I haven't encountered any scratching. In fact I don't even see how it could scratch it since the only part of the lig that touches are the little plastic bumpers on the inside.

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
398 Posts
Strange. I used one for many, many years on alto and it never scratched my mouthpiece. The inverted Bonade and Harrison it replaced both left scratches at the top where the screws are tightened (the former many, the latter just a few). The nice thing about the Winslow was that it fit virtually every hard rubber mouthpiece I came across and never left a scratch.

Not knowing how to contact Mr. Winslow, several years ago I bought a replacement set of "pistons" from Saxxas that worked very well. But if I were to buy again, I'd order directly from the designer.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Simon just under the screw there are 2 metal contact points, one on each side (look just above the white nylon bumpers).Probably a better description would have been the metal contact point causes a gouge. And a resulting scratch when removing the Lig if not careful.

Remember I tried these Ligs on metal Guardalas, I wouldn't claim they mar every mouthpiece.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Simon just under the screw there are 2 metal contact points, one on each side (look just above the white nylon bumpers).Probably a better description would have been the metal contact point causes a gouge. And a resulting scratch when removing the Lig if not careful.

Remember I tried these Ligs on metal Guardalas, I wouldn't claim they mar every mouthpiece.
I see what you mean. Must just be on that model. None of mine look like that. Crazy. I'll put up a picture here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,402 Posts
I guess it is time to re-state my experiences with Winslow ligatures . . . I bought one YEARS ago for a metal Guardala soprano mouthpiece. And it seemed to work great. So great that I ordered Winslow ligs for HR soprano, alto HR, and clarinet HR mouthpieces. That made for four Winslow ligatures. They all came with little bottles of extra cushions and bumpers and a tool to make it all work.

I did notice that trying to re-site mouthpieces on the neck cork with a Winslow lig in place was difficult - I had to remove the lig, move the mouthpiece, re-fit the lig, test the tuning, and repeat until I had it right. At home with a known tuning source, this was not a problem, but out on a gig with a variety of pianos involved, tuning was always a problem.

As time went by, the set-ups seemed less and less responsive. I discovered that the little rubber cushions had lost their firmness and changed into something like chewed gum. The first time I ealt with it my hands were covered with this sticky gum-like material from those cushions. When I tried to replace those rubber cushions, I found the replacements were just as bad. And I mean every rubber cushion, including the ones that came as back-ups with all of my ligatures.

I gave up on the Winslows and ended up giving them all to a fellow saxophone player from Australia who was living in SoCal. Others have not had that experience, but I sure did. DAVE

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dave - Thats not great to hear and I must say that I am a little concerned given what I have just purchased. I would like to ask, if you did feed that back to Mr Winslow, and if so was there a resolution proposed ?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I used a SAXXAS lig for years on Dukoff and LT Guardala pieces....never scratched them at all and the fit was perfect. Highly recommend this lig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,402 Posts
dawson: No, I did not pursue it with Winslow. I did not have his contact info when all that happened. Yes, I did buy them directly from him but that was when I lived in Montana. After the move back to SoCal, I'd lost it and this was before SOTW and the rise of the Internet.

Frankly, at that point, the problems with tuning my mouthpieces was such a major distraction, coupled with the fact that ALL of the rubber cushions (not just SOME of them) turned to gum, that I wasn't interested in a FIX, I just wanted to move them on down the road - and I did.

I realize that others still love their Winslows, and others have posted in previous threads about this issue (the value of researching old posts is clear here) as NOT having the same problems I had. But even if there WAS a fix for those gummy rubber cushions, I wouldn't be interested in it. I just posted it here as an advisory to others because obviously old news dies quickly here on SOTW. DAVE

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Just a note...I don't have any issues with tuning or adjusting my mouthpiece on the cork when using the winslow. I could potentially see that being and issue if your lig isn't quite tight enough or your mouthpiece is to tight of a fit on the cork. OR possibly both. It's an easy problem to fix with a few adjustments though.

Not sure about the rubber things turning to gum. Haven't seen that one and I hope I never do!!!

That beings said...to each his own...some will love them and others won't. I say they are definitely worth a try though!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I ordered one last week and just got it today. He is an amazing man and spent at least a half hour on the phone with me explaining how to clean it, etc. But- this is truly an incredible ligature. My sound is so grounded, and the dynamics that can be achieved are not to be believed. I have only been playing for 6 years, but this will definitely elevate my level of play.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I bought a Winslow lig a long time ago, when they first came out, bought it at Stein on Vein in Hollywood, came in that little white cardboard box. It works great on my berg, and never have had a problem with it. No problems on tuning, nor adjusting, no slipping, or scratching my stainless steel berg. I've only replaced all the rubber cushions on it once in all these years, cause they were losing their firmness, but not by much. The rubber cushions have lasted for alot of years. They've never turned to gummie bears on me,lol, and I've had it now since the late 80's???, or whenever they first came out with them, also it's been played on a daily basis since then. It opens up the bottom end alot more, and helps take out any harshness in the upper register. Best purchase I've ever made on accessories. I highly recommend Winslow ligs!...Joe.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I recently bought a Winslow a few months ago, he's still around and in (apparently) good health and spirits. My alto one cost about $80 and shipped with a film case full of spare parts too. I've been very pleased with mine so far and it seems to have improved reeds being consistently playable and general response. I'm not usually into the ligature hype but I think the "clamp" design of the Winslow makes a significant difference versus others on the market. The only irk I have is that I cannot leave the ligature on my mouthpiece without a reed, for fear of scratching the table.

Considering that the brand new Winslow is less expensive than the SAXXAS, I can't see any reason to go with anything else for the time being. At any rate, give Mr. Winslow a call, he's a great guy and you are guaranteed a lively conversation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts