Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a Winnenden Alto off of EBay. Risky but at least it has a return. The horn arrived playable from top to bottom, only with a few small problems that could be fixed with adjustment.

I took it to a local shop and spoke with the repairmen there. They loved the horn, but refused to work on it. The pads all had "leaks" and were "shot out". He said it needed a full repad for the price of $450; more than I payed for the horn. If the horn could play I didn't understand how they all had leaks.

Would this horn be worth a repad? I've heard plenty good about these horns and how they are pro or around the area. I'm hoping to make this horn one heck of a player. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,192 Posts
A saxophone can “ play" and yet leak in many places.

Some technicians prefer to change all pads, felts and bumpers. Sometimes they do this because they think that a partial repair wouldn’t do, sometimes they do this because they want more money.

450$ is about the price of the standard re-pad in the USA but there should be plenty of technicians whom would do a partial intervention.

The problem is that maybe now you “ fix” it for 200$ and then later on you spend several times some more money.......... .

Anyway you need another assessment.

THese horns are very nice and good, but they are not worth a lot of money and their market is limited. If you fix them you fix them because you like them but not because you could flip them at a profit although, you should be able to sell a tenor for more than what you probably paid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input. I do plan on taking it to at least a couple more shops to be looked at and see what the techs there think.

I do not plan on flipping the horn for a profit, I knew it wouldn't make any money. I either plan on returning it (maybe) or fixing it up eventually into a killer horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,192 Posts
why should you return it?

It is a great vintage horn and when you buy on ebay you should always expect ( as a minimum) some pads to leak.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I own 3 Kohlert Winnenden tenors, love 'em.
Winnendens are pro horns.

They rank right up there with The Martins, Buescher Aristocrats and '50's King Zephyrs,
which I also own, from the same period.

Totally worth sinking money into for a repad.
You only paid four and change for it.

Find a tech who loves working on vintage horns.
Maybe a tech on this forum.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, I did expect some work to be done. I just wanted to hear some input on the horn to completely get rid of the thought of
returning it. Either way the horn was a bargain.

And thank you Phil. There is a shop not too far away that specializes in saxophone and I'm sure they'd do a good job on my alto if I
don't go anywhere else or send it off somehwere for work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
You can tell by looking at it, and feeling it in your paws with its fluid action
that it is a really good horn, right?

In top playing condition it will be great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope so. I'm in battle with the parents (yeah I'm a youngling) trying to convince them it's a worthy investment.

They doubt it could be better than my buffet 100 series (in immaculate condition compared to the Kohlert). The horns sound very similar, but that seems like a bonus for the Kohlert since it's playing the same despite needing new pads and adjustment.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,284 Posts
How far are you from Grand Rapids or Okemos?
If you're within an hour or so from Grand Rapids go to Meyer Music and ask for Mike Lutley.
Eric Satterly at Meridian Winds in Okemos is another tech I won't hesitate to recommend.
I don't think either one of these guys will refuse to put your horn in GPC.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live a bit farther than an hour away, but I'll still take that into consideration, thanks.

I looked over the horn again and am curious about the neck. It is said to be original by the seller. The lacquer matches the rest
the horn except for the octave mechanism, which is nickel. It also looks a bit different than other necks I've seen pictures of. However it does fit just fine and plays well with the horn so far.

View attachment 45956

1 - 10 of 10 Posts