Sax on the Web Forum banner

Willis Jackson & Von Freeman live in The Netherlands (Laren, 1978)

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just found some sound clips on YouTube of a live concert with Willis Jackson and Von Freeman (the father of Chico) on tenor. It was played and recorded at the Laren Jazz Festival on 11 August, 1978. I remember that I was listening to this (at age 16) during a live radio broadcast while applying new wall paper to the walls in my sleeping room :).

Here is a clip with both tenors in a blues called 'Willis and Von'. Willis solo starts at 0:45, Von starts at 2:32. Don't stop to early, they play some nice fours starting at 5:45.

Willis quotes one of his favorites at 0:55. Who recognizes the original player and song where this lick comes from? The winner gets a free link to the YouTube clip of the original player :bluewink:!

Here is the clip:

or

If you search YouTube on "Willis Jackson & Von Freeman - Lockin' Horns" you will find some more clips of this concert.

Here is a link to the CD of this recording: http://www.amazon.com/Lockin-Horns-Willis-Jackson/dp/B00004TCI0

Enjoy this music of another area :).

See less See more
#9 ·
sounded like a Gene Ammons quote to me. In general, Willis Jackson has that whole Gene Ammons thing deep in his playing. Really great to hear...Gene is one of my favorite saxophone players EVER. Sadly, people (tenor players) just don't do that anymore. Or maybe they can't (cause they don't listen to it!)

#10 ·
... Willis quotes one of his favorites at 0:55. Who recognizes the original player and song where this lick comes from?
The winner gets a free link to the YouTube clip of the original player :bluewink:!

Here is the clip:

or
Sorry for not responding earlier to answers given sofar on above question (have been and still are very busy lately and forgot about this thread :|). Both Ben Webster and Gene Ammons are logical answers, but not correct (according to my knowledge that is!).

I will post the answer and link to the 'winning' clip after the weekend, giving the option for others to find the correct answer :).

#11 ·
Two more bluesy and hard driving soundclips of this session (only featuring Willis on tenor):

- Pow:

I love this stuff... Who still play's like that?

#13 ·
... Willis quotes one of his favorites at 0:55. Who recognizes the original player and song where this lick comes from?
The winner gets a free link to the YouTube clip of the original player :bluewink:!

Here is the clip:

or

I'm not fully sure if it's an original lick of Jacquet, who 'borrowed' some of his licks from early Lester Young and Herschel Evans (both from the late 30's Basie band).

#18 ·
Nice! That quote is part of the Illinois Jacquet solo on Flying home , All Tenor players had to learn an play the solo as obviously it was a popular toon.
Reafbop, I know that solo and the work of Illinois Jacquet very very well and I've never heard him playing that quote in 'Flying Home'.

Could you post a link to a clip of him playing that lick in 'Flying Home' or mention in which recording you heard it?

Here is a link to his original 'Flying Home' solo with Lionel Hampton from 1942 (solo starts at 0:50):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.