Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for some video footage of this guy for some time. Here's a clip of Gator Jackson on Ed Sullivan as part of an RnB show. If you want just fast forward to around 6:40. The Gator honkin' on the One Note.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
amazing footage- just for the pure intensity of it, superb!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I'm surprised SOFA entertainment hasn't nailed them yet for copyright violation, I looked into getting this footage years ago and just for a review copy they wanted more than $500, to use it, US only video rights for 10 years was an arm leg and first born.

·
2,766 Posts
Willis Jackson is the only cat I know of that recorded with a Conn-o-sax.

The 1979 LP Willis Jackson "The Gator Horn" on Muse Records (MR 5146) features Jackson on 3 cuts blowing the Conn-o-sax.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BarrySachs said:
Willis Jackson is the only cat I know of that recorded with a Conn-o-sax. The 1979 LP Willis Jackson "The Gator Horn" on Muse Records (MR 5146) features Jackson on 3 cuts blowing the Conn-o-sax.
Are there other recorded examples or are those three tracks It?

·
246 Posts
Great video! Willis Jackson could honk as well. On the LP "On My own" (Whiskey,Woman, and ... KM-705) Willis played his Conn-O-Sax on one tune, " The Call Of The Gators", as far as I can hear.

As it goes for his "Gator horn" the backsleeve info on the LP, written by Tony Burke, says: "Besides tenor-sax, Willis plays the "Gator horn", a self designed saxophone used for ballads. Hanging almost to the ground, the "Gator horn" has a round ball with a small opening for the bell and sounds, he explains, "between a soprano and alto sax and a french horn and clarinet"". Jacksons Conn-O-sax were bought by Paul Cohen (Vintage Saxophones Revisted, Saxophone Journal) in the late 70's or early 80's. They both lived on the upper Manhattan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts