Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Have you tried closing all of the toneholes and trying to play the harmonic series like on a brass instrument? On an alto sax an "alto horn" mouthpiece might work a bit better than a trumpet mouthpiece due to the tessitura of the instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have you tried closing all of the toneholes and trying to play the harmonic series like on a brass instrument? On an alto sax an "alto horn" mouthpiece might work a bit better than a trumpet mouthpiece due to the tessitura of the instrument.
Didn’t try it- every bit of playing I did was in that video...I didn’t “warm-up” or try it out beforehand, hahah.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fun. Last night I tried a trombone mouthpiece on my tenor and voila! Saxobone! Lots more tone manipulation from that mouthpiece...it seemed like the octave key was not necessary....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fun. Last night I tried a trombone mouthpiece on my tenor and voila! Saxobone! Lots more tone manipulation from that mouthpiece...it seemed like the octave key was not necessary....
Awesome!! I’m going to be doing a bunch more combinations so glad to hear that’s a good one to try

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I bet you have a greater appreciation for trumpet playing now Dave. Very cool video as well.

It was wayyyy harder than playing on a sax mouthpiece! Had to focus to try to center the pitch on some of the notes. As far as sealing, nope! Just put the mouthpiece in the neck and that's it. I want to get suggestions from people and try them - nothing more, nothing less!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts