Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is episode 1 of my new series where I try some very unorthodox ways of playing the saxophone. In this one I combine a trumpet mouthpiece and an alto sax. Yep. I think you might be surprised at how it sounds! Let me know what you think, and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What you're able to do with this very imperfect "tralto" is amazing. However, the thing would work better (intonation, tone) with a neck extension.

·
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you're able to do with this very imperfect "tralto" is amazing. However, the thing would work better (intonation, tone) with a neck extension.
Thanks! Not trying to make it sound good - just trying to see if it would work since a lot of people recommended it!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,584 Posts
That's very impressive!

However, I think that the reverse works a just a little bit better:

P.S.: I know that he's actually using a (heavily modified) soprano mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I sometimes put alto mp on 1/2” plumbing tubing ....8-10 feet long....lots of fun... a few times I experimented with putting holes in it.... sounded like a bass clarinet at 4-6 feet....at full 8-10 you get all kinds of crazy sounds

·
Registered
166 Posts
As always ingenious Dave ...
A little like playing with a specific damper of a low-sounding trumpet, interesting new sound can be successfully used in background music or film music.
Dave,
is playing like that is harder/easier for you than on sax mouthpiece, it looks like you're more focused than usual?
Did you seal the mouthpiece and how?
Thanks, worth trying, it will be an interesting experience, it never occurred to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mmichel:
Thanks for the link, in my opinion playing a trumpet with a saxophone mouthpiece "vocalizes" the sound more, interesting impressions and listening sensations.

·
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As always ingenious Dave ...
A little like playing with a specific damper of a low-sounding trumpet, interesting new sound can be successfully used in background music or film music.
Dave,
is playing like that is harder/easier for you than on sax mouthpiece, it looks like you're more focused than usual?
Did you seal the mouthpiece and how?
Thanks, worth trying, it will be an interesting experience, it never occurred to me.
It was wayyyy harder than playing on a sax mouthpiece! Had to focus to try to center the pitch on some of the notes. As far as sealing, nope! Just put the mouthpiece in the neck and that's it. I want to get suggestions from people and try them - nothing more, nothing less!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Yrs back I played Fillmore West, On one tune I used a T-bone mpc in Tenor...ran thru Fuzz Wah Octa-vider and Marshalls..sounded like Elephants on Acid.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,910 Posts
All of your videos just make me smile!
I mean that as a great complement.

Fun, fun, fun.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,910 Posts
You help a lot. Its a pleasure to see all the great things you do for the sax community!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Once I experimented with helium— was hard to make the sax sound different but when I used helium with a whistle/recorder it was soooo shrill compared to the normal sound

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
I think that you are doing a great service in keeping things lighthearted and imaginative.

Plus, I liked the vid.

thnx

1 - 20 of 30 Posts