Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 3-digit Guardala MB II and the guy who sold it only just told me the damage you see in the baffle is a hole that goes "through the roof". He said he fixed the bite plate with the original pink dental resin. The bite plate in fact looked original to me from the pics, so I was misled there. I have sent the money, but he has not shipped the mpc yet.
My first reaction was to ask my money back because he had not told me and had sold the piece as in "a very good shape". My second thought was it's maybe worthwhile to keep and play it. I don't collect them, so if the sound is o.k. and we can agree on some compensation regarding the price I will maybe take it.

Now here's my questions:

What will such a repair do to the value of a Guardala mouthpiece which, apart from this, looks original and fine?
Will the sound be affected in any way by that wear in the baffle?

The pics are not my property, but I feel it's o.k. to use them for a kind of evaluation here.Your advice is welcome and appreciated. Please do not use this thread to discuss the pros and cons of Guardala mouthpieces, there's a lot of that in other threads, and this is not what this is about. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts
I'd be concerned about the stability of the baffle, since it is so thin - literally paper thin. I have to wonder whether the person filed down the area under the bite plate when prepping it for repair. Such damage also occurs when the baffle is filed too much from the inside.

As you are not collecting mouthpieces, consider whether the next person is going to buy it with this kind of damage.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
get your money back. listen to Dr G.
this type of damage freaks me out. this piece barely makes it as a door stopper in my opinion.

·
33,238 Posts
I'd be concerned about the stability of the baffle, since it is so thin - literally paper thin. I have to wonder whether the person filed down the area under the bite plate when prepping it for repair. Such damage also occurs when the baffle is filed too much from the inside.
Here's a comment from a mouthpiece tech regarding how such damage occurs:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ting-to-tip-opening-inquires&highlight=baffle

Metal - it gets a little more complicated. Most metal pieces have biteplates. You don't really want to file through the underside of the baffle to the biteplate because it looks lousy. Plus if you ever bite through that part of the biteplate, it's gonna leave a hole there which will need to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seller told me he is ready to refund me and not send the mouthpiece. He said he loved the piece for many years and I believe him. But I would never have bought it if I had known about the damage. Thank you all for your kind advice.

·
33,238 Posts
Thanks for sharing a happy ending to this tale of potential woe.

All the best to you and yours,

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts