Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon to be the proud owner of a Phil-Tone Otto Link HR 6. I am now using Legere studio reeds as my horn has to sit periods of time between uses in a set or between sets. I am thinking of the signatures as well.
Specifically to a Phil Tone hr link, will this reed be ok? Does any one else use this combo? How does it sound.?
I have fibracells but prefer the Legere.
If I used cane it would be Alexander DCs but the synthetics just give me peace of
mind when I pick up the horn after it has been sitting
Any opinions would be appreciated, especially if you have experience with this combo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
I don't have experience with the particular combo you mention but I'm now using Legeres on all my horns — clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor, and bari. I use Studio Cut 3's on tenor: originally I just used them on my high baffle mouthpieces and I didn't think they'd work on my Link. But I started playing the Link more and when I tried the Studio Cut reeds on it this time they worked fine. You need to be precise with your reed placement, however.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shotgun
by precise do you mean the tip placement? what works best for you, exactly even, or overlaping it ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
For me the sweet spot is when there's just the slightest ring of tip material showing when I press the reed down with my thumb, just short of exactly even. I think it's easier to see on a hard rubber piece but by now I know when the reed needs repositioning and I can pretty much readjust in the dark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts