Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a barone classic tenor saxophone in bare brass. My concern is: will bare brass corrode faster than a laquered counter-part?

This isn't about the affect on sound

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
the effect on sound is not in discussion here there is plenty about it elsewhere

I have only one very good example to tell you that durability won't be a problem......... this copper object (copper corrodes more than brass) is older than you and me

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
The only worry that I have had owning two bare brass horns is any corrosion on the tone hole edges affecting the pads and I have not seen any in two years.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
the effect on sound is not in discussion here there is plenty about it elsewhere

I have only one very good example to tell you that durability won't be a problem......... this copper object (copper corrodes more than brass) is older than you and me

This "Example" was rebuilt and refinished in the 1980's at a cost of more than 350 million US dollars. So plan on spending some serious purse on that unlacquered sax about once every hundred years or so. :bluewink:

PS: The finish in that picture is artificial patina completed in 1986. So it's really not bare copper anymore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This "Example" was rebuilt and refinished in the 1980's at a cost of more than 350 million US dollars. So plan on spending some serious purse on that unlacquered sax about once every hundred years or so. :bluewink:

PS: The finish in that picture is artificial patina completed in 1986. So it's really not bare copper anymore.
I really hope I'm not around for that long

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
100 years in all weathers on an island

1 - 7 of 7 Posts