Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take It Greasy...Ol'55 cover band performing 'On The Prowl' @ Melbourne Didgeridoo Festival.
Special guest Wilbur Wilde (original Ol'55 member).
Had a good chat with Wilbur after the show and even though he's a rusted on MkVI player...he's using a Barone mouthpiece.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10359606

P.S. He had go with my Vintage Barone and said the action was just as good as both his VI's.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hats were big in the 50's, but not sure about pork pies, more fedoras like Howard Hughes, and more recently Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones movies, wore.

It seems that almost everywhere I see a sax player he's wearing a pork pie; maybe it comes in the sax case with the white gloves! I was thinking along the lines of it being a uniform item.

I bet your top speed improves when your shirt catches fire too!!

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Bill: Alas, I never got that far hehe. There were quite a few who were keen to chat to the big bloke (6'8") hehe.
He did say that Yamaha offered him a Bari, Tenor, Alto, Soprano, but knocked them back as 'Geez I simply aren't going to play them'
'I have two Selmer IV's and when one gets a bit rattly I take it to Paul Donnelly for repair'.
David Temby offered to make him one (he did J.C's pink one) but same answer...

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,767 Posts
Nice picture and recording Mark, sounds like you guys had some great fun overthere! Your Barone sax looks great (almost as old as mine!). What MPC did you play, the Barone or the DG?

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Peter. We managed to get some of the audience up and dancing which was great.
I decided to use the DG as it does give a tad more volume, and Wilbur has a large set of lungs :).
As you know though, I'm keen to get a hold of a Barone Hollywood...only the current budget and equivocating on the tip size holding me back right now.
BTW you can see more pictures here.
http://www.takeitgreasy.com/gigs.html
We are performing on 'The Marngrook Football Show' ABC2 Wed 23rd March @ 7:30 p.m.
cheers, Mark.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
cool Mark... did the discussion turn to Joe C? ;-)
I saw Joe at the Adelaide Fringe Last year. Just him, a guitarist and his pink horn. Still has an awesome tone. He was one o fthe great unknown session players on many Australian albums. Wilbur is great too.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
G'day Nigel. Hey it's your old DG that I'm playing.
On a downer though...the program that's being shot tomorrow is only a 'pilot' episode...the one on the 23rd will be live to air.
...and we won't be on it :(
cheers, Mark.
Good to see that DG is cutting it!... I still couldn't do it justice!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,767 Posts
Thanks Peter. We managed to get some of the audience up and dancing which was great.
I decided to use the DG as it does give a tad more volume, and Wilbur has a large set of lungs :).
As you know though, I'm keen to get a hold of a Barone Hollywood...only the current budget and equivocating on the tip size holding me back right now.
BTW you can see more pictures here.
http://www.takeitgreasy.com/gigs.html
We are performing on 'The Marngrook Football Show' ABC2 Wed 23rd March @ 7:30 p.m.
cheers, Mark.
Nice pics on that site Mark, I like your yellow socks! That "Wee Willy King" guy on sax looks a lot like you :bluewink:. A pitty I couldn't make it at the 23rd. How did it go?

Peter.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,767 Posts

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Peter. Glad that you found the pics entertaining! We were actually recorded on the show on the 17th and I just assumed that it would go to air on the 23rd. However I was incorrect as per usual and the episode that was recorded is a 'pilot' which won't be aired.
The show is live to air and the episode on the 23rd had Ross Wilson (Daddy Cool) as the musical act.
We will be appearing on the show 17th of April.
Apparently we're also going to be on 'In Gordon Street Tonight' ...I could be wrong again though :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts