Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...new SOTW member here but definitely "not new" to being a saxman...grew up on tenor and finally bought my Mark VI as a sophomore in high school (1971). She is long gone...I know, what a dummy but divorce makes you do things you regret. Fast forward to now. My wife of 17 years has always wanted me to pick up where I left off ( a very long time ago) and now I believe the time is right. We found a Conn Alto M Series #345,700 with L beneath, Lady Face in a garage sale. Artists Model. Case is shot and horn was kinda crusty but has cleaned up very nice. Mouthpiece and other accessories are ordered. Will run it through a few chromatics before taking in for professional tune up. I have researched a bit but if any of you pro's out there can shed a little info on this model I would appreciate it greatly.

Craig

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
“L” = low pitch. It’s a good thing.

Edit: Sorry, Bruce. I see what you mean - that it may have been phased out by then.

Yes, a picture would be good.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Not unusual. Here is a 340k tenor with the L still stamped there.

Wood Tints and shades Window Fashion design Twig

And a 346k:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
252 Posts
These are super horns - Craig, you will really enjoy it, even more perhaps once it's fully set up - mine (a little older than yours) is a keeper!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Man, I look for stuff like that at garage and estate sales all the time! Good job... best thing I've found the past few months is a Pearl Queen concertina from 1912, very popular with the tango and polka set. Found a violin, wound up donating it to a program that gives instruments to the youth orchestra, it was half decent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking so!...mouthpiece just arrived and even though it has the usual low key leakage the tone is brilliant and quite heavy for an alto. Now it's off to be repadded. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries Bruce. I was researching online as my wife was describing some of the detail. Now off to tech to have a good going over. I was surprised to say the least!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Conn: 6M, 26M, 28M, 30M. Barone Bb soprano. Conn C-melody, C soprano. Antigua bari.
680 Posts
Excellent acquisition! Conn-gratulations, you're going to love it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts