Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this in the 'favorite sayings' section up top but don't understand why this shouldn't be done.

Never ever play with keys in your pocket and ensure you never let your sax hang down & rub against your belt/jeans buckle. Why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,582 Posts
I don't think I've ever played without keys in my pocket, maybe that's why my playing sucks so badly. It wasn't me after all, it was the keys!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,254 Posts
I keep the key in my mind. F, Bb, whatever;)
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,647 Posts
That was probably written by someone who lives in a colder climate where static electricity in winter can be bothersome. If you have a lot of static electricity built up in you, you can produce a complete, looping circuit through your body and through the horn.

So the keys in the pocket act as a bridge between your body and the bell of the saxophone and the current will then run up your right leg, through the keys to the sax bell, through the horn and back into your body through your mouth. When that happens, it can cause a spark shower from your mpc to your lips which hurts like hell!! :yikes!:

A similar thing happened to a colleague of mine playing at a Shriners' Convention in Dresden last February. It sent the guy screaming to the hospital with third degree burns on his lips. A local news guy caught it on camera.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
That "shower of sparks" thing....WOW! :D Never done that. Sure could be a cheap way to get a standing "O". I've seen someone rock a B3 back and forth while smoke is coming out from everywhere and that sure is cool as.....! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
keys in the right pocket = ripped/frayed pants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gary said:
That was probably written by someone who lives in a colder climate where static electricity in winter can be bothersome. If you have a lot of static electricity built up in you, you can produce a complete, looping circuit through your body and through the horn.

So the keys in the pocket act as a bridge between your body and the bell of the saxophone and the current will then run up your right leg, through the keys to the sax bell, through the horn and back into your body through your mouth. When that happens, it can cause a spark shower from your mpc to your lips which hurts like hell!! :yikes!:

A similar thing happened to a colleague of mine playing at a Shriners' Convention in Dresden last February. It sent the guy screaming to the hospital with third degree burns on his lips. A local news guy caught it on camera.

UR 2 much...funny! The static electricity thing sounds reasonable.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
One time on a cruise ship gig we were backing a saxophonist guest-entertainer.
In his show he had an Ellington medley where he would switch horns on every tune (SATB), his big finish was on bari and he had pyrothechnics coming out of the bell like that !
The inside of his bell looked like a chimney.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,959 Posts
Diamond player said:
are you serious???? :? man, this is mad.
Yup. That pic was from my recital some years ago. I was playing my final number (not programmed that way but you need lips to play the sax) and was just hitting the Bb at the end of the Gershwin Prelude#2 when I walked too close to the cymbal stand and the static discharged.

Another side note to it, make sure the drummers rug isn't so big that it sticks out where you are standing, especially in the middle of winter.:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Stop Scratching!

I have sympathy for the folk that have had nasty static shocks, but I can't see that it is anything to do with the keys being a bridge between your body and your sax. You are already holding a big lump of metal in your hands, with at least one finger/thumb touching metal, and your mouth is also touching a damp MPC which leads to a damp metal tube. Who needs another electrical connection? I know the horn is probablly lacquered (insulated?), but that applies just as much to the keys as it does to your hands.

Personally I think that it is all to do with not scratching your horn while you play. :)
 

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
10,792 Posts
Some keys, like the key for the Avalon I drive, are just fobs with buttons called smart keys. I never take it out of my pocket.

I guess the fear would be that a groping groupie could set off your panic button causing the alarm to go off in the parking lot.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
Joined
·
19,597 Posts
Have you guys thought that maybe, just maybe, something may happen and the weight of the keys would cause your trousers to drop?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top