Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
It is somewhat mind boggling that a company like yani does not do this ....
You're saying "does not," but you should be saying "did not." I believe that all current Yanagisawa models DO include the model number, right above the serial number on the back of the tube. In fact, this has been case for a couple of decades now. I have three Yanys -- alto from mid- to late 1990s; curved soprano from early 2000s; and tenor from mid-2010s -- and all three are engraved with the model number.

It's the older Yanys, from the 1980s and especially the 1970s, that often omit the model number. At the time, perhaps Yany figured it wasn't necessary, if the company was producing only one model of that size horn. Of course, years later that decision forces players of these older horns to grapple with model ambiguity, or even indeterminacy in some cases.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As mentioned by LostConn, modern Yanagisawa horns do carry their model numbers.

I believe this started only after they began manufacturing multiple levels of the same horn.

The 800 series and 880 series were labeled with the exception of the soprano horns which were easily distinguished - one curved soprano, one single body straight soprano, and one removeable neck straight soprano.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another possible reason: Yani made many stencils in their earlier years. The lack of model numbers on tubes would make them interchangeable between Yani's and their stencils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts