Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think in general the colored lacquer gets a bad rap.
Maybe because there are so many cheap horns doing it?
Miles Davis played a red Martin Committee trumpet all through the 70s yet collectors shun this model like it has Ebola all over it.
Even various finishes (matte, antique, etc seem to have less value, maybe because they are just less “normal”, like a custom built house Vs a cookie cutter, bigger resale opportunity.
I think if it plays well and looks nice it, it’s cool.
Sadly this horn the OP points to isn’t either.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I think in general the colored lacquer gets a bad rap.
Maybe because there are so many cheap horns doing it?
Miles Davis played a red Martin Committee trumpet all through the 70s yet collectors shun this model like it has Ebola all over it.
Even various finishes (matte, antique, etc seem to have less value, maybe because they are just less "normal", like a custom built house Vs a cookie cutter, bigger resale opportunity.
I think if it plays well and looks nice it, it's cool.
Sadly this horn the OP points to isn't either.
I'm also into finishes that will last the longest and protect the metal of the horn the longest.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This thread makes me curious which company or brand was the first to offer different finishes other than the standard gold lacquer or silver plate on saxes other than an occasional "special edition". The first ones I ever saw were Cannonballs, but that may be because I live in "Cannonball country" and did repairs at a Cannonball dealer. I remember seeing a pink Mark VI tenor at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. It was "remarkable" to say the least.
The first black horn I saw was a Guardala "New York Series" with all the engraving in the mid '90s. Check out the Conn "enamel" finishes like this one from 1922:

Drinkware Artifact Art Vase Serveware

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,668 Posts
Pink was a accepted ORIGINAL color for a mark VI, I don't see anything weird with any color, if this was good for Dexter Gordon so it is for anyone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts
Pink was a accepted ORIGINAL color for a mark VI, I don't see anything weird with any color, if this was good for Dexter Gordon so it is for anyone...
I don't understand what you mean by "accepted ORIGINAL color". It was certainly not a standard offering - custom, yes.

·
34,735 Posts
Did it come from Selmer pink? If so, that sounds like ORIGINAL color to me...
I am not disputing that pink was original to the horn, just trying to determine what colors were "standard" vs "custom".

·
41,668 Posts
The several colors in which Mark VCI were available have been discussed ever since this forum was create so (it is so ancient the first reference that doesn't even bear the date nor it is quotable)
https://www.saxontheweb.net/SOTW_Ar...web-boardid-selmer-thread-69-startmsg-20.html

"..J
My sax teacher told me several years ago that Selmer made saxes in several different colours for a short while in the sixties. I beleive he also said that Fela Kuti had a full line of purple Mk6s. I have never seen one, tho', and I haven't any contact with my old teacher, so I can't ask him. "

it is at http://www.saxpics.com/selmer/6.htm

"Speaking of interesting finishes, Selmer started experimenting with colored lacquers, for a brief time, during the VI model run. These horns are fairly rare and do include white, black, and possibly red ("rose") and/or blue.
It came from Selmer and wasn't an after market job and it was in the range of offered colors. White, Black , Blue and Pink. So it was an original option, not a unique custom work. The definition of custom may very but there have to be at least a couple of dozens around.

It was accepted by the buyers because quite a few were sold ( a couple surfaced among members here too and one was for sale secondhand by Raffaele Inghilterra a shop near Naples in Italy). One is at the MIM museum in the US.

How many were made, exactly, could be told by Douglas Pipher whom, famously by now, is the person with access to the database.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?79182-Douglas-Pipher

There is also a small number of blue lacquer Mark VIs ... made in the 170k serial range

·
Registered
321 Posts
OK I'm just lukewarm on black lacquer tenors, I certainly couldn't pull off Dexter's pink one, and the aftermarket job the OP cited doesn't interest me at all...but that cool blue one from Selmer is pretty snappy!

·
34,735 Posts
I saw a red lacquer Mk VI alto at the Reno Jazz Festival in ‘72.

It was in the window of a pawn shop... :cry:

·
41,668 Posts
It certainly looks like an orginal and my guess is that this is a very rare C pink melody. Buy it.

As a kid I remember a shop, Miletti, in my native city, Naples, where they had for years and years a Black and a Red saxophones (probably Grassi) in the window display and nobody would touch them until they became a rarity and then somebody bought them both.

The same thing happened to a Vox teardrop guitar and bass. All of which, nowadays, would bring quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haha I love some of these rare horns Selmer did! King Curtis played on a dark blue original mkvi in the 60s dome of the time! And I know of someone with a beautiful original low A mkvi baritone in original black (matte) lacquer. Really fun idea I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts