Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Actually doesn't look too bad, for what it is (I don't personally like the black saxophone look, but this one looks well done).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Not my cup of tea. But as Turf said, it is well done as an example of that finish.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My question was not so much regarding the quality of the relacquer (and apparent re-engraving -- that's not what Mark VI engraving looks like) as the decision to get it done that way in the first place. I imagine the owner is asking themselves the same question now that they realize the market for a relacquered-in-black and re-engraved Mark VI is not that robust.

·
32,935 Posts
... and the J-K SX90.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
there were and are lots of black lacquer horns, Selmer was one of those.

Maybe this was a very bad LOOKING horn that had been heavily buffed and maybe it came into the hands of one of these shops which are specialized in selling old horns which after they have fallen into their hands reappear which a rejuvinating treatment.

Borodi Music has been here many times with horns that were completely replated to new state and there were also saxophones ( Like the King Super 22 which were invented and never existed before , look it up)

Read (well and completely) these two thread (Much recommended to prospective buyers!!!)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?221024-George-Borodi-refurbished-horns

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?202430-Now-this-is-a-new-one-A-King-Super-22

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sorry guys but that looks nothing like a Yamaha Custom or a Keilwerth. I saw this horn on eBay and thought it was a butcher job. The patch exposing the brand logo is ridiculous and the re-engraving looks rough.

But with that said, $5500 is high for a relac'd. This seller is optimistic.

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
can't say i like it.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
This thread makes me curious which company or brand was the first to offer different finishes other than the standard gold lacquer or silver plate on saxes other than an occasional "special edition". The first ones I ever saw were Cannonballs, but that may be because I live in "Cannonball country" and did repairs at a Cannonball dealer. I remember seeing a pink Mark VI tenor at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. It was "remarkable" to say the least.

·
32,935 Posts
This thread makes me curious which company or brand was the first to offer different finishes other than the standard gold lacquer or silver plate on saxes other than an occasional "special edition". The first ones I ever saw were Cannonballs, but that may be because I live in "Cannonball country" and did repairs at a Cannonball dealer. I remember seeing a pink Mark VI tenor at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. It was "remarkable" to say the least.
Good question. How ‘bout making it a thread? “What was the first brand of saxophone to use colored lacquer?” Or similar.

I recall seeing a white sax, either King or Buescher, that must predate the red, blue, white, or black lacquer of Selmer. Then there is the question of whether it was a catalog item vs custom order.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts