Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of used monitors (I think they are demo versions) at a fairly ridiculous markdown... like 1/3 of the usual cost. It's a set from Blue Sky, the Pro Desk 2.1 set. After I got everything plugged in, I turned them on and... nothing. The sub had a blown fuse.

I'm about to go to the store and get a new fuse and some spares, but why would the fuse blow in the first place? Should I worry that there's a short circuit in the sub that may damage it if I replace the fuse? How can I fix it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
If there's a wiring fault, the new fuse will blow too - almost assuredly causing no harm to the sub. Hopefully it blew in the first place because it was doing it's job and the previous owner had a situation that caused the fault...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,881 Posts
Even sale items should be under warrantee, if not then you still should have legal recourse. Get the company to repair them or give you your maney back.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I once went through this with a set of "b stock" studio monitors. No sub, but one of them just would stop working sometimes during periods of use of over 20 minutes.

I have to think your problem is an internal electronics fault requiring repair.

Do you have a warranty? If not, I say return it and get a refund.

I have had good and bad luck with refurb / b stock musical electronics over the years.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If there's a wiring fault, the new fuse will blow too - almost assuredly causing no harm to the sub. Hopefully it blew in the first place because it was doing it's job and the previous owner had a situation that caused the fault...
My C.P.A. Father has always said that sometimes when you buy used you are buying someone else's problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Store sent out the sub for repairs. In the meanwhile, I rigged up the 5-inch woofer/tweeters to play full-range, and they sound fantastic. I can't wait to get the sub back into this unit like it was designed to be, but I'm enjoying the satellite speakers right now.
My C.P.A. Father has always said that sometimes when you buy used you are buying someone else's problem.
I find that to be the case sometimes. I misrepresented the condition of the monitors in my OP. They are demo stock, so the woofers have some nice marks where some genius wanted to poke them while they were playing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts