Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a lot of references to Blue Vandoren Java mouthpieces lately. Why the differentiation from the black Java's? Is there a significant difference, and what is it?

As a side note, I have a blue T97 from 1990, that I bought from a weird German guy who ran a music store out of the back of his house (these things happen in Minnesota-he was also a Couf player, whatever that was...)-he cut a half inch off the shank on a lathe when I bought it, and it does play extremely well, much better than a new T95 that I bought off of ebay. (Edit-and its better than a stock blue T97 that I bought as well)

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
The blues, being out of production, are not as commonly found - otherwise, the material in the blue pieces is a lot softer than the black HR. Design-wise, there are maybe some very subtle differences in the baffles of the Jumbo Java pieces, but not enough to really call out one sounding all that different from the other based on my experience.

They look cool, too.

But not as cool as the red ones!

·
2,228 Posts
Vandoren Java Blue

When I played a T45 java blue and a T45 black java in a location with tons of resonance, so it sounds like more than just one saxophone playing, the two mouthpieces sound different to me. This suggests that the overtones emphasised in one are differant from the other. I hear a differant tonal quality without the resonance as well, the razzy qualitys are more pronounced in the blue for me. I found the same with jumbo javas as well.

And yeah they look super cool. :D

Robert Stewart plays a T45 Jumbo Java Blue. Check him out at www.therobertstewartexperience.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
To me the blue sound like the black or maybe it is vice versa.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Sigmund451 said:
Can you play blues with the back ones....thats the important question.

...and does a red car go faster ;)
Yes and yes........:cool:

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Some people pay a premium for blue Jumbos for alto because there is a smooth jazz player who uses them, I don't recall his name. Blue anything else doesn't normally go for any kind of premium.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Thats the guy. In my experience it is pretty much solely his popularity that has driven up the blue Jumbo altos. Blue Jumbo tenors do not enjoy the same higher prices nor do non-Jumbo plain Javas.

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EZ said:
The blues, being out of production, are not as commonly found - otherwise, the material in the blue pieces is a lot softer than the black HR.
Does the softer material change the sound?

EZ said:
They look cool, too.
And the chopped blue is even cooler, and it sounds better to me than the plain blue T97 that I also have, but you already know that, don't you Ed?

·
3,406 Posts
rdf2 said:
Does the softer material change the sound?

And the chopped blue is even cooler, and it sounds better to me than the plain blue T97 that I also have, but you already know that, don't you Ed?
I've not noticed material density making a noticeable difference to the sound. Could also say that the material a mouthpiece is made of has not prevented me from finessing subtleties into the tone. So in that regard, I'm definitely color blind and somewhat material blind as a refacer.

The blue material wears and damages easier than the black.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Are the blue "woodwind company" pieces that come with the Vandoren Lig and Cap basically the same as the Javas?

...Squeely Dan sells/ sold them on Ebay as vandorens..thats where mine came from. I believe him that its a java, it plays nice enough stock and I cant see a difference.

·
3,406 Posts
Indeed they are. I've had a few for tenor - same design and material characteristics of the Vandoren branded blues.

Nice pieces!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
EZ said:
Indeed they are. I've had a few for tenor - same design and material characteristics of the Vandoren branded blues.

Nice pieces!
Nice, but not as nice as the monster Mojo / EZ link STM I got from a member of this community...that thing really kick Ar$e:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts