Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tLOYgAROU

They are also mechanically excellent. The action is light. (Some comments, clutching at straws to denigrate the cheap Yamaha, were silly because they implied that the mechanism was not light.)
The only downside is slightly non-level tone holes, as with most flutes these days.
This affects reliability and can be corrected.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I like my 225S1. I bought it from a member for $200. I'm just a doubler.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are so many 200 series...221, 222, 225, 261, 281. For doubling, any to be preferred, big differences, etc?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are so many 200 series...221, 222, 225, 261, 281. For doubling, any to be preferred, big differences, etc?
Second digit 1,2,6 or 7 have "off-set G" which most players agree is far more ergonomic than "in-line g" found on middle digit 8 & 9.
Second digit 1 or 2 have covered keys. The rest have perforated keys, which have pretty well no purpose unless doing special effects such asd multiphonics, and more difficult for a doubler.
Second digit 1, 7 & 9 have a Split E Mechanism, which makes third octave E a lot easier to play, especially to slur to from A, and especially for a doubler.
(9, with Split E and in line G keys, is mechanically "precarious".)
The final digit is pretty much meaningless. (According to a Yamaha document it refers to pitch, "1" being A=442, but with flute pitch affected so much by embouchure, airstream speed, air temperature, pull-out of the head, this does not mean much)

So 211 is probably the best model but a little more expensive. It is not so common in USA, although common in other countries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts