Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Practice until you can't get it wrong! So true until you are suddenly on a stage and something throws you off - like the bartender shaking a drink completely off tempo

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
That's good advice, Dave. I'm not a young man anymore and I think it's even more important at my age to play it correctly, albeit slowly, and then gradually increase speed. I've been working on some big band Christmas charts and I haven't been applying this technique. Consequently, I have some things to unlearn...
Thanks much!
George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Practice until you can't get it wrong! So true until you are suddenly on a stage and something throws you off - like the bartender shaking a drink completely off tempo
Haha! Or drunk people fall into you, horn breaks mid solo, people come and talk to you while you’re playing, etc. (all have happened to me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Haha! Or drunk people fall into you, horn breaks mid solo, people come and talk to you while you’re playing, etc. (all have happened to me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but has someone actually poured a beer down your horn? (Frat party when I was a teenager, it was about my 3rd paying gig!) Or thrown up on your feet? (New Years gig in a big merchandise showroom.) These are the things we all live for...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, but has someone actually poured a beer down your horn? (Frat party when I was a teenager, it was about my 3rd paying gig!) Or thrown up on your feet? (New Years gig in a big merchandise showroom.) These are the things we all live for...

or firecrackers in the bell (New Years gig in a Hotel at seaside) ?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Yes to beer and a tennis ball ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good video. I could and should be more diligent about using a metronome. I do not have any gig stories to share, I am still trying to overcome my stage fright, I have a friend that has regular one man show type gigs that has invited me to sit in anytime with him. Someday.....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Dave,

This is another excellent video. I've done this for years. All of Parker's transcriptions demand this unless one is a facile sight reader. When I got a transcription of Trane's "Giant Steps", I was certain that I could breeze through it at the recorded tempo because I had heard the solo so many times.

WRONG.

You're right. Dial it back because you're building muscle memory. You want to remember to play it right.

You may have already covered this in another video, but learning to sing the part before you attempt to play it helps a lot too.

Wonderful video. Where were you fifty years ago when I was in seventh grade needed a great teacher?

Wait. You weren't born yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave,

This is another excellent video. I've done this for years. All of Parker's transcriptions demand this unless one is a facile sight reader. When I got a transcription of Trane's "Giant Steps", I was certain that I could breeze through it at the recorded tempo because I had heard the solo so many times.

WRONG.

You're right. Dial it back because you're building muscle memory. You want to remember to play it right.

You may have already covered this in another video, but learning to sing the part before you attempt to play it helps a lot too.

Wonderful video. Where were you fifty years ago when I was in seventh grade needed a great teacher?

Wait. You weren't born yet.
Thank you so much! Sometimes you can get something mostly correct at speed, but if you want to TRULY learn it, slow is the way to go! And you are right- I wasn't even a thought 50 years ago!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I haven't watched the video, but one of the great lessons I learned with my last instructor was to start with the metronome clicking eighth notes.

The why of this is not always explained, but you have to be very precise at slow tempos, and any slop is readily apparent.

Thanks for making the material free to access Dave.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts