Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
YAMAHA YAS-82ZS YAMAHA YSS-82ZS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,I'm going to buy a PM 66RUL.But the discussions that I can find here are all 5-10 years before. Why people don't talk about PM like years ago? Are they not as good as they were before?

·
Registered
410 Posts
They are about the same or maybe improved to be fair. It was just the new-kid-in-town back then. There are some other brands that have come up after that and the center of attention is not on P. maurriats anymore. There is Eastman 52nd street, Signature Customs. OTOH P.Maurriat started building student and intermediate models before they even had a solid building quality of their “ pro horns”. I remember like 10 years ago or so I went to sax.co to try some new horns and one of their demo PM horns was already missing part of the left had pearls!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are about the same or maybe improved to be fair. It was just the new-kid-in-town back then. There are some other brands that have come up after that and the center of attention is not on P. maurriats anymore. There is Eastman 52nd street, Signature Customs. OTOH P.Maurriat started building student and intermediate models before they even had a solid building quality of their “ pro horns”. I remember like 10 years ago or so I went to sax.co to try some new horns and one of their demo PM horns was already missing part of the left had pearls!!!
Thanks Frank。
“missing part of the left had pearls!!!”Wow,I can see how popular PM was 10years ago 。But the quality 。。。
Oh my,what I‘m seeing,a Selmer Refrence36 tenor!Horn only in the dream。I haven't seen a real one yet!
Enjoy it!
Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,355 Posts
The Mauriat "excitement" is over. I was excited to get one years ago. I was more excited to sell it.
Right, resale isn’t great on PM or any of the Taiwanese or Chinese horns really, as compared to the big four, which is more like the big three with Keilwerth’s smaller footprint these days. The hype and rhetoric has a way of sloughing off if a horn doesn’t stand on it’s own over time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The excitement stopped when their prices nearly doubled.
emm.
The price of 66RUL I can get is 3850 dollors.YAMAHA YTS 82Z is about 4500 dollors.I just prefer the sound of 66RUL than 82z. My alto and soprano are both 82zs and I love them really. But I do not like the yts82z's tone.It's too bright and modern to me.I hope my choice was right.But still worry about it before I get the PM.ORZ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,342 Posts
emm.
The price of 66RUL I can get is 3850 dollors.YAMAHA YTS 82Z is about 4500 dollors.I just prefer the sound of 66RUL than 82z. My alto and soprano are both 82zs and I love them really. But I do not like the yts82z's tone.It's too bright and modern to me.I hope my choice was right.But still worry about it before I get the PM.ORZ
The 66R I bought new in 2008 was $2400, I sold it a few years later for $1800. The 82Z you mention will sell used for $3k+ but the Mauriat used will still sell for around $1800. If you plan on never ever selling the Mauriat and think it's worth $3850 now, go ahead. Also, why only comparing to Yamaha, there are dozens of choices out there now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,355 Posts
Look for a used example. 67 RUL altos are selling for $1500 and less on eBay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 66R I bought new in 2008 was $2400, I sold it a few years later for $1800. The 82Z you mention will sell used for $3k+ but the Mauriat used will still sell for around $1800. If you plan on never ever selling the Mauriat and think it's worth $3850 now, go ahead. Also, why only comparing to Yamaha, there are dozens of choices out there now.
I'm in China. I don't have so many choices.The kinds of saxphone I can buy here are realy limited.ORZ

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm in China. I don't have so many choices.The kinds of saxphone I can buy here are realy limited.ORZ
If I am not mistaken, there are Yanagisawa/Yamaha dealers in those major cities in China and you should be able to purchase a brand new one with a reasonable price. If you live in a remote area then that might be a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you get Yanagisawa maybe?
Thanks my friend.Yanagisawa in China is really expensive. A tennor wo10 is more than 4800 dollars.en,maybe in Chines Yuan you can get the diffrence of price.PM 66R 25000 yuan,82Z 30000 yuan,wo10 32000 yuan.5000 yuan is much more to our Chines than 500 dollars to American or English.Because 5000 yuan is almost the salary for a week for most of officers around me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not only for the P. Mauriat. There are a few brands (mainly Taiwanese horn) that were extremely popular here during a certain period of time (don't want to mention the brand name here). If you are interested, just do some search on the topic like "recommendation for a new tenor" or alike and checked those posts around 2010~2015 and you will see some brands have been frequently mentioned then. When I was looking for my first soprano around 2011, I bought an Antigua because there were so many recommendation on it then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I am not mistaken, there are Yanagisawa/Yamaha dealers in those major cities in China and you should be able to purchase a brand new one with a reasonable price. If you live in a remote area then that might be a problem.
Thank you my friend.YAMAHA and YANI are more expensive in China than UK or USA.The tariff is very high here.My two 82zs are bought in Japan for saving money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not only for the P. Mauriat. There are a few brands (mainly Taiwanese horn) that were extremely popular here during a certain period of time (don't want to mention the brand name here). If you are interested, just do some search on the topic like "recommendation for a new tenor" or alike and checked those posts around 2010~2015 and you will see some brands have been frequently mentioned then. When I was looking for my first soprano around 2011, I bought an Antigua because there were so many recommendation on it then.
Thanks for your advice~

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,341 Posts
I like my 66 RUL Tenor. Not looking to sell. I. know several have claimed horror stories when rebuilding them. Planning to do it to mine, so far there has been nothing to scare me off from starting.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts