Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I read lots of post here about these models and it seems that the AW01 takes more positive comments than the AW010...
But hey... there should be more than the price difference, the ribbed construction and the double arms on low keys
Is the A-W010 so resistant, dark and heavy that it discourages purchase?
The differences don't worth the price?
If so, what happen to Yanagisawa's guys to made this, less quoted, model?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Don't underestimate the impact of the $1.1k price difference (in the U.S.). The two models share the same body tube, so perhaps people feel that if the overall quality is the same and the sound is similar, even if not identical, they can live without the keywork enhancements. That's basically why I play a TWO1 instead of a TWO10 (also, I wanted a lighter horn).

However, we also have to look at the kinds of music people play. Although I play tenor pretty often, alto is my main instrument. I play mostly classical/concert band stuff. My Yany alto (I also have a Selmer) is the A990μ, which is the earlier equivalent of the AWO10. For me, a slightly darker, slightly more refined Yany alto is a plus. That's what I want. But for someone playing mostly jazz, blues, funk or rock, maybe a bit more brightness and free-blowing feel are desirable. Hence, the apparent SOTW preference for the AWO1?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think price may have something to do with it. I'll have a new AWO20 on Thursday and I'll let you know from a hands on perspective how that model plays and sounds.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,227 Posts
I have a bunch of Yajys. On tenor, i like the TWO1 sound better.
On alto, very little difference. Disclaimerdisclaimerdisclaimer.

dat
sax
man

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
First off, according to many members on sotw, there is no difference in sound between the two models. There could be no difference solely because of the added ribbed construction and extra weight on the neck.
So ignoring that, Yanagisawa has different models to do different things. The classical saxophonists seem to really love the WO10, WO20, and various solid silver models. I think the biggest reason there doesn’t seem to be as much love for the other models compared to the WO-1 is the price tag, and the SOTW opinion about the added ribs and neck weight.
Additionally, the WO-1 is simply the model that more closely benefits the preferred playing style of many SOTW members.

When discussing these models with high schoolers and undergrad performance majors. The WO10 is the most popular with the WO20 after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts